• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guidelines for Thorough Stability Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for letting me know :).

I added Toast and SuperPi to the CPU Stress testing alternatives list, with updated links.

I read before somewhere here where hawtrawkr said that he dual primes (intel system) and then runs super pi 32m, and it has worked wonderfully for me, shows errors alot sooner than running prime for a day. i had a system that was prime stable for about 4 hours, but dual prime and super pi 32, it was not stable for 15 min.

Indeed, dual Prime on an intel processor is quite important - without multiple stressful processes running, the processor will not be running at full load.

SuperPi is an amazing stress tester, which is why I added it into the CPU section. A loopeable SuperPi is in the works, such a program may well replace Prime as the easiest and most popular stress tester.

Felinusz,

Have you ever used OCCT for stress testing? It's extremely hard on the CPU/memory systems, the main test runs for 30 minutes and also thermally stresses the CPU to its max!

It can also be set in "torture test" mode, which will loop until it's turned off manually. Many people are using this program as a quick indicator of instability prior to long Prime runs.

This program also generates excellent graphs of system performance during testing. It was developed in France, and Googling "OCCT" will bring up the main page of the group of O/Cer's who wrote and administer it. It can be downloaded from this site.

Wow, at first glance this soft looks pretty neat!

Thanks for letting me know about it Blooz1, I'll check it out and give it a try (adding it to CPU alternatives :)).

I would suggest to use Goldmemory to test memory, I've done endless testing in last few months, and goldmemory catch memory error simply better, always 3-4MHz before Memtest and in line or even before that Prime Blend. It's not free but a shareware version with some limitation is available to download.

The difference about what Memtest report and RAM stability in OS is all about the way that it's stressed, Memtest can't reproduce the access pattern that a OS multitasking do.
Different memory testing software use different algorith so is usefull run them all for extra confidence.
Goldmemory is the best to do the job, I've never seen memory stable for goldmemory but instable for Memtest, Windows Memory Diagnostic( a nice program by M$ but never updated to final release), DocMemory.

Last edited:
I have been messing around with the software, and have added OCCT to the guide - this piece software is thorough, very fast, and very easy to use... it is simply superbly designed. Thanks again Blooz1. I dare say that this soft should/will replace Prime95.

mazzy, thank you for the suggestions. Although I see the merits of in-OS memory testing, they also have severe drawbacks, as explained in the memtest86 readme file... anything run from within the OS cannot adequately cover all memory adresses in a 'stressful-enough' manner. The Windows version of memtest86 is a good example of this - while effective to a degree, it is not ideal to use because of it's poor coverage. Memtest86 isn't a blanket software - it needs to be used in tandem with other stability testers to be a good indication of stability.

The 3DMark2001SE nature test is an extremely stressful (perhaps the most "all-around" stresssful) graphics card stress test to use, and quite effective as a thorough measure of 3D/Graphics stability.

The 3DM01 Nature test is a happy-constant across all video cards, due to it's ability to quickly bring both graphics memory and graphics processor temperatures to a peak, and keep them there while under load. The 3DM01 Nature test is stressful, makes things really hot, and is easy to use - ideal for our purposes :).

Is it possible to run two OCCT instances? :rolleyes:
For enabling Intel HT and push 100% CPU load for dual cores...
I have searched at Google and I visit OCCT's forum but it is 99% in French...

Good Question, I am not sure whether it was designed to fully stress dual core processors and HT enabled processors. My French is awful, I am not sure if this is explained in detail on their forum.

Someone with a dual-core would have to run OCCT on their machine, and then check whether it fully stressed both cores.

FB at ABXzone here tried but it was impossible.

felinusz now all modern processors are dual core so any programmer must upgrade code.
It is not necessary to do magic tricks for enabling Intel HT or load two instances (for example Prime95).
Although I am not a programmer (just for fun I share OcBible) it is not hard to create multiple threads.

Last edited:
MrSeanKon, thanks for following through with that!

I got your PM as well, I just hit you back :).

I have a good friend here who speaks French, I'll get him to post the question on their forums :).

Regards felinusz!

But my friend _dangtx_ (PcPer user) who speaks French visit their forum link1 link2 and told me Windows says 50% cos it sees 2 cores (1 virtual) but OCCT is indeed using 100% the physical CPU

Hopefully I found an Intel HT LGA 775 at 3.6GHz. :santa:
Thus I tested S&M program OK it enabled HT --> running S&M on dual cores the load will be always 100%.
Here is the screen capture:

Attachments

• S&M.jpg
    S&M.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,456
Last edited:
Am I suppose to get some graphs telling me about voltages and temps after complete 30min stability test with OCCT?
I am not getting any graphs and there is nothing inside the graphs folder in OCCT directory.
I have asus probe installed and I correctly configed OCCT (all readings are correct).
After 30 min of the stability test, OCCT returns nothing. No error msg, no passing msg, and no graphs.

I tried to run everything at default and still the same thing. OCCT didn't hang or freeze either.

If you configue OCCT to load MBM5/SpeedFan/ASUSProbe/Whatever as it runs, for software temperature, RPM, and voltage readouts, it will keep a log of this information. If you don't tell it to load any of these software monitering programs, it won't give you any of this data, as it has no built-in software monitering itself.

MrSeanKon - thank you for following through with that my friend! That clears it up nicely :). OCCT really is a great program - personally, I am using it instead of Prime95 as a CPU stress test on my machine, because it has consistantly detected instability faster than Prime95 for me.

OCCT was correctly configed, it auto loads asus probe when it starts up.
It display all the readings correctly, the only problem is OCCT won't generate any graphs.

Back