• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darthanakin23

Hi everyone, Ok I flashed my PNY 6800GT to a Ultra bios and it crashed on me a couple times but it ran 3dmark05 and 3dmark03 perfectly fine with no artifacts and when it crashed it was after playing tribes vengeance, I saw my screen which was filled with artifacts and then i had to reboot. So i flashed back to my GT bios and now my score has gone up a 100points in 3dmark05 and 200 points in 3dmark03..Now what im wondering is, on the voltage...my 3D voltage is at 1.4 and my throttle voltage is 1.3 and 2D is 1.1....should i change all of these? what should i do with these settings and does it make sense how i get better benchmarks with my GT bios compared to my ultra bios? thank you for answering these questions

Makes perfect sense. The memory timings on a Ultra are tighter then those on a GT because they use different ram. While the processors are the same your GT may or may not function well at those speeds. It wasn't tested to 400mhz where a Ultra processor would be. In most cases a Gt will run Ultra speeds but there's no guarentee.

3d voltage at 1.4 is perfect it will give you the most OC without loosing stability. Stock is 1.3v on a standard GT. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Well....

Well my GT ran at 400 and 1.1 perfectly and then when i do a ultra bios flash it becomes unstable like i stated above and I have my 3d set at 1.4 but what do i set my throttle and my 2d? the voltage that is?

darthanakin23 said:
Well my GT ran at 400 and 1.1 perfectly and then when i do a ultra bios flash it becomes unstable like i stated above and I have my 3d set at 1.4 but what do i set my throttle and my 2d? the voltage that is?

Your voltages are right where you want them to be. 1.4v 3d perf. fall back to 1.3v and 1.1v is correct for 2d mode.

JeffP said:
Makes perfect sense. The memory timings on a Ultra are tighter then those on a GT because they use different ram. While the processors are the same your GT may or may not function well at those speeds. It wasn't tested to 400mhz where a Ultra processor would be. In most cases a Gt will run Ultra speeds but there's no guarentee.

3d voltage at 1.4 is perfect it will give you the most OC without loosing stability. Stock is 1.3v on a standard GT. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Um the timmings on the Ultra are Looser not tighter, thats why a GT @ 400/1.1 will get a higher score then a Ultra @ 400/1.1

JeffP said:
Your voltages are right where you want them to be. 1.4v 3d perf. fall back to 1.3v and 1.1v is correct for 2d mode.
.....and THAT ^^ is why it is unstable.. you CANNOT I repeat CANNOT, run with the default Ultra voltage. 99.9% of GTs cannot run stably with that.

Change all of them to 1.4v That should solve the issue. You are damn lucky your GT even booted. Most will give a black screen and refuse to post at 400mhz with 1.1v. Reflash those BIOS pronto with 1.4v set to all values.

CandymanCan said:
Um the timmings on the Ultra are Looser not tighter, thats why a GT @ 400/1.1 will get a higher score then a Ultra @ 400/1.1
^^ Ditto. Bro you got any other advice seeing you flashed Ultra?

Well he could try a diff Ultra bios i mean just cuss you have an ultra bios doesnt mean its the right one to use. If you used the PNY ultra bios try flashing to the NVIDIA ultra bio's thier are 2 rev .01 and .02, if you tried the nvidia bios then try the pny one.

Also instead of setting the voltages to 1.4 for all 3, you can set the 3D to 1.4, 3d to 1.3 and the Throttle to 1.3, Assuming youre card can run @ 400/1.1 just fine withe the GT bios which uses 1.3v.

I have my 3d to 1.4 Throttle to 1.3 and 2d to 1.1v my card runs fine with the 2d @ 1.1v @ 400/1.1

CandymanCan said:
I have my 3d to 1.4 Throttle to 1.3 and 2d to 1.1v my card runs fine with the 2d @ 1.1v @ 400/1.1

I agree. Mine works great at those voltages as well. If your having to lock at 1.4v across the board your working around another issue I believe.

JeffP said:
I agree. Mine works great at those voltages as well. If your having to lock at 1.4v across the board your working around another issue I believe.
That may or may not be the case. However the best method of flashing is to mod your own BIOS using OmniExtreme edit (which I plan to do shortly)

Sentential said:
That may or may not be the case. However the best method of flashing is to mod your own BIOS using OmniExtreme edit (which I plan to do shortly)

Thats ultimatly what I did. I tried a GT GS bios, a Ultra bios, and a ultra GS bios. While they all worked everyone of them had some sort of quarke in game play. I'm back with my original GT bios modded to 1.4v (no drop down voltage to worry about) and 1.1v in 2d. Speeds in my sig have been very stable and dependable.

im currently using the Ultra bios, and everything works fine, even more stable than with a modded GT bios, only thing i changed was the throttle voltage and set the 2d and 3d clock speeds the same in bios

CandymanCan said:
I guess im the only one not having probs with my Gt to Ultra :bday:
You are also using the reference board....something that I sadly no longer have as an option:cry:

Im gonna try modding my BIOS once I get my VGA sliencer. Im not gonna half-*** this. Whenever I do things they are done right the first time.

Well

Well I have my 6800GT watercooled so temperature shouldnt be a problem, but right now I downloaded the nvidia GT bios and it shows my temperature to be 10 celisus cooler, is this possible just from a bios change? One more question, since I have a PNY 6800GT is there any ultra bios i can flash to and not have to worry? I was having problems with it like locking up with the whole screen full of artifacts then i restart, but with this GT bios with ultra speeds is just fine so any ultra bios i can flash too? I want it to say ultra and i tried with that new version of omniextreme to change it to a ultra but it doesnt show up as a ultra.

Back