• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

falchion

Registered
Hi everyone,

I need some advice, I've recently bought a celeron 766mhz processor and have been trying to replace my old celeron 400 on my Asus p2b board (Rev 1.10). I've used a slot connector (super slocket 3) and upgraded bios, but on powering up my pc fails to boot - celeron fan doesn't move either. I've tried various combinations for voltage and the FS and BF jumpers but no joy.

Does anyone have previous experience here? Can I get round this or am I forced to buy a new m'board?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Richard.

What happens when you try to boot?
Do the system fans run?
If your cpu fan is plugged in and does not start it would suggest your motherboard is not getting power.

As far as I know the p2b only supports voltages down to 1.8v and the celeron uses 1.7v, so the Vid for 1.7v may not be recognised by the p2b, try setting the voltage on the slocket to 1.8v

wow that was a fast reply!

In answer to your question, my pc's main fan is running and system light comes on (though not HD light). But that's it, nothing else happens.

Any ideas?

R.

Thanks for the speedy reply,

How do I adjust the voltage settings on my adaptor? It only has 5 sets of jumpers (JP 1 to 5) and the guide only states settings for: cpu clk (66,100,133mhz or auto), cpu brand (Intel or Cyrix) and Cpu single/double mode.

Am I missing something or is my connector card just rubbish? If so what adaptor should I get to get my system working?

R.

do not make multiple posts on the same subject, you already made this post in intel cpu's which I replyed to there.

sorry about that, I wasn't sure which forum was appropiate.

R.

The slocket was part of a cheap deal with my local parts retailer, it's a "super slocket 3" with a simple card installation guide (part of a blister package) other than that it's made in china thats all the details on the packaging.

Do you think this is the source of problem? Should I buy a replacement model? If so what should I be looking for?

Cheers,
R.

Well it may be worth buying a good slocket such as an Iwill or Asus with voltage options, or you could simply modify the slocket to the necessary voltage, I'll go sort some instructions on how to do this

thanks for all the effort!

I'll wait to hear any advice on mods before forking out for a new slocket (tight-fisted scot). Is this a very complicated procedure?

Cheers,
R.

Hi,

My wallet got itchy so I went and bought a new slocket with voltage settings - some improvement. My pc now switches on, case fan and cpu fan start, and HD shows some activity for a few seconds then... nothing. Monitor shows no activity.

Rather frustating, is this terminal? I've tried fiddling with the slocket's jumpers and a couple of other voltage settings but no better result. (I've flashed my Bios to 1.012 as recommended on Asus site)

Also I was asked on purchasing my new slocket if my new cpu was coppermine, am I right in thinking this is a different processor setup from the celerons?

Still hopeful,
Richard.

yes celerons from the 533a onwards were all coppermines.
what slocket did you purchase?

My new Tbird had the same thing. Cpu fan was running, lights were going, but then nothing came up on the screen?

Never did figure it out. Back to my old one. I need to figure it out yet.

So if someone knows- Thanks

1100 tbird ASUS A7V

hi phil,

apparently one that wasn't coppermine compatible, the dealer agreed to swap me a compatible card when I return this one - when he gets them in next week. I guess that's what I get for being so impatient!

Guess I'll have to wait a week for my next attempt at the upgrade.

Richard.

p.s. I looked for the asus and iwill sockets you mentioned but couldn't find any in Glasgow, everyone up here seems to be keen on flogging cheaper imitations.

was your old one fc-pga compatable though? you could try the wire trick on the celeron to bump the voltage up temporarily
Hardocp have a guide here

tried the wire trick recommended, some improvement. System switches on and hard drive activity is prolonged, however then system seems to lock, monitor flickers (no text) and speakers stutter.

It's like my system doesn't recognise the cpu, however I don't think it can be a bios problem as I have the latest upgrade. I'm stumped (again).

Richard

Success

Hi everyone,

just a note to thank you for your help, after getting another slocket I finally got my upgrade to work. Only prob. is occasional problem starting up, seems to take a couple of goes before pc will boot up? Can only assume a loose connection somewhere which resolves when system warms up? Any other suggestions welcome. Anyhow, system runs smooth as silk when she does get going so I guess I can live with this for a while!

Thanks to phil for his advice and help,

R.:D

Back