• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed for new work PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as far as nvme drives go,
don't bother if you are on a budget, you will only notice it on boot, it's great, but the money can be invested in other gear.

While I'd be willing to run an eBay/kinguin license at home. Those are notoriously from gray market sellers purchases with stolen credit cards and such and resold, or taken off of computer cases and sold. For a business I'd prefer to buy from a legitimate reseller.

Alright, here's my latest plan:

Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock AB350M Pro4
2x8 DDR4 (probably GSkill, but not sure yet)
Reuse old GPU (will upgrade in April)
Cheap case
Corsair CX550 power supply
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb ssd
Windows 10 Home OEM from a legit store

I should be able to get all of that for around $650 if I shop smart. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which ram to get. It seems like such a crap shoot with Ryzen right now...

Alright, here's my latest plan:

Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock AB350M Pro4
2x8 DDR4 (probably GSkill, but not sure yet)
Reuse old GPU (will upgrade in April)
Cheap case
Corsair CX550 power supply
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb ssd
Windows 10 Home OEM from a legit store

I should be able to get all of that for around $650 if I shop smart. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which ram to get. It seems like such a crap shoot with Ryzen right now...

The memory situation with Ryzen has improved significantly with AGESA 1.0.0.6. If I were building a budget system right this second and wanted 2x8 I'd probably go with this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...220975&cm_re=ddr4_16gb-_-20-220-975-_-Product

or it looks like you can bag 2x8GB Geil EVO 3000Mhz for $120 ...at least for a few more hours:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...144929&cm_re=ddr4_16gb-_-20-144-929-_-Product

https://www.scdkey.com/software.html
ive heard good things about this place but havent had a need to buy a license yet. all three of the ram options you've been given are solid choices. gl and enjoy your new toy!

There are some gray areas here with regard to purchasing OEM software but one piece of advice I have is to deal with online discount software vendors who have had some longevity in their Internet presence. If they have been doing business for a long time Microsoft or someone would have caught up with them by now if they aren't legit. One tipoff to know if you have purchased pirated software and/or keys is if activation fails after you wait a significant time after purchase to use the key. What has happened is the company producing the software has caught up with the theft and deleted those keys from the data base of valid ones.

I opted to go with an OEM version of Windows from Newegg, being that this computer is for work. If it were for home, I'd probably take a chance on a cheaper option. Also, I got permission to use another budget line so I ended up purchasing the following parts:

Ryzen 5 1600
ASrock AB350M Pro4
GSkill Flare X 2400MHz 2x8gb
PowerColor Red Dragon RX 560 2gb
Samsung 960 Evo 250gb M.2 SSD
Corsair Carbide 200R
SeaSonic M12II 520w

I got all of the above with windows for about $900, and I should be getting $45 back in rebates. I ended up not ordering a storage drive for the time being. I have an external USB 3.0 1TB drive that I will use for storing larger files for now (as well as some server storage). Next year, if need be, I'll add another internal drive.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. Parts should arrive Wednesday and I'll try to post some pics next week.

I used SCDKEY a few times. After two bad win 7 keys and four bad win10 PRO keys, I am not dealing with them anymore. Don't trust them and I should have never dealt with them.
I am waiting for a refund for three bad keys right now. All the Microsoft stuff does not show up on their main pages right now but if you do google searches you will find some active links.
It appears that they are tying to operate under the radar.
This is just my personal opinion based on recent experience...

Pvee, this thread is pretty old. If you need Windows product keys in the future I would recommend kinguin.net. It's a legitimate outfit and Windows 10 pro OEM goes for around $40. They've had an internet presence for several years. Used them many times and not had a problem.

The thing I like about ryzen is that it overclocks itself automatically like a smartphone would. I want the 2700X which clocks to 4.3 I think. Plenty for 8 core 16 thread. Shoots, I went from a p4 to a quad and almost bought a video card by mistake lol.

Back