• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the hell is wrong with my SATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

This is the 3rd WD 250gb SATA HDD I've had that's started corrupting my data.

Seriously WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??

It's been working like a champ until I start backing up stuff from my 80gb drive and it starts to corrupt data. What could be wrong? Is there some SATA magic trick I don't know?

I'm using the latest drivers and supposedly the NF7 BIOS I'm using has the SATA corruption fix. Maybe I'll jst back off my OC even further than I've had to already and not be greedy and go to a standard Abit BIOS..

I suppose it could be the controller but I don't think it would break my HDD then work ok for 3 months then break another HDD.

are you using the abit SW enhanced controller? my sata drives corrupted like crazy while i had that installed. i dont install it when i format now and havent had a problem since

Just wondering whether the drivers on my CD for my NF7-S rev 2.0 which were made at the end of 03' are anygood? Are these the drivers you guys are saying are corrupting drives?

I didn't install the IDE software drivers as I've heard the same thing Shuruga.

And Xia, I haven't read many instances that the drivers were the issue. That it was more of a BIOS thing. And if you haven't had a problems since '03 I think you're fine. The problem surfaces really quick.

Permanoob said:
I didn't install the IDE software drivers as I've heard the same thing Shuruga.

And Xia, I haven't read many instances that the drivers were the issue. That it was more of a BIOS thing. And if you haven't had a problems since '03 I think you're fine. The problem surfaces really quick.

Cool, well i guess i should keep an eye out, because im in the first week with this SATA setup. :0/

Hmm first week might not be "quick" enough. This time it took mine 3 months. Before it only took a couple of days.

Permanoob said:
Hmm first week might not be "quick" enough. This time it took mine 3 months. Before it only took a couple of days.

Are you saying that it took 3 months to cause problems the first time and then a couple of days the next time??

Thats not good news for me then....im kinda worried.

On another note, I noticed that we have the same 3d card. I was wondering what programs and how you achieved your overclock on your card. Did you use stock cooling?

thx in advance :D

It took a couple of days the first time.. about 2 weeks the second time and 3 months the third. I RMA'd the drive the first time.. then the second time a scandisk was showing bad blocks. We'll see with this one. Won't have time to mess with it until tomorrow.

Stock cooling on the card so far and I'm just using coolbits. I'm putting an in x800xt pe tomorrow (if my computer will let me) and I have my watercooling system to install. I love not having time for things.

every time i've had problems it was within the frist few hours. normally by the 2nd or 3rd reboot i'd notice windows doing a scan disk and finding errors on every start after.

just a thought, maybe the time-before-corruption-is-noticed has to do with the amount you are using the drive. my OS drive saw heavy use and lots of problems and as you said Permanoob "until I start backing up stuff from my 80gb drive", did the drive see much use or sustained use before you tried to back up?

Yah it had. I'd copied over about 4-5 games.. all over 1Gb each. A couple of them over 5Gb. I'd copied over 7Gb of mp3's. So there had been a lot of high bandwidth traffic right after I installed XP.

The first thing I noticed was UT2k4 about 3 weeks after that install. It'd load up and everything would work up to the point of loading a map. It'd crash out and tell me I'd run out of virtual memory.

Back