• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, I messed something up...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuKow

I was setting up a computer with an Intel D850GB motherboard (p4), and when I was setting up the BIOS, I accidentally hit the power button. Now when I try to boot, everything looks and sounds like it is booting up, but nothing is displayed on the screen and the pc speaker is silent. I have tried a different power supply, video card, taking out all the other cards, I tried updating the BIOS with the iflash util found on the intel web-site, and I tried different RAM, all to no avail. Does anyone know what I can do?

Welcome to the forums, MuKow. I hope we can help you out here.

Did you try to clear the CMOS, using the jumpers? I'd give that a go. You might have corrupted the BIOS and need a new BIOS chip. But if it's a really new board, you might just wanna replace the whole board. But first try to clear the CMOS. If you don't know how, the manual for the mobo should tell you.

Welcome to the forums!
Sounds like you murdered your BIOS. I've never heard of what you did having that effect, but there's a first time for everything. DOn't know how you could flash the BIOS on a computer that would not even boot, tho.

Unplug power cord and clear the CMOS. Leave power unplugged for a while then try again. Then if that doesn't work, call Intel for help:).

That's all I can think of!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. That CMOS cannot be cleared as far as I can see, but replacement was quite easy. I appreciate the replys I recieved, and how quick they were.

MuKow said:
Thanks for your help. That CMOS cannot be cleared as far as I can see, but replacement was quite easy. I appreciate the replys I recieved, and how quick they were.
I've never seen a cmos that cuoldn't be cleared. Some are harder than others but it's there somewhere. To bad you bought a bad board. It shouldn't have acted like that. you didn't save the changes so the bios should not have changed it's memory. Take it back while the 30days is not expired. next time choose an overclockable board. It gives you more options. Heck I want to get a motherboard just to try to duplicate that one.

Well, I didn't mention this earlier, and after reading this you will know why. I am a technician at a computer shop and was assembling a machine for a client, and with the whole new york thingy, it took a long time to get the memory (our supplier for memory is far away), and the client was kinda impatient about their computer, so I knew they wouldn't wait for a replacement board, so when all the guys at the shop were stumped too, I came here. The details on the board are at intel's site, and I couldn't find a way to clear the bios, if you want to prove me a moron and find out how go ahead, cause the board is still at the shop and it would be nice if we didn't have to send it back.
(edit: We just got a dfi board for a p4, that was the easy replacement.)

try to short-circuit the battery for a few seconds or take it out. i heard sometimes it takes hours for cmos w/out power supply to clear but it should work. i hope this helps you.

Back