• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AV8 - Vcore fluctuation (AV8 owners input wanted!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for telling me. What is your PSU and other installed components TMM?

Yes my NBVDD is hardly unmoving. It goes from 1.51 to 1.55. I have it set to default (whatever that is).

Gnerma said:
Massive problems working with Winchesters? Sure I agree that not posting without a BIOS update as was the case with some boards (including the AV8) is a massive problem but I'm not sure what else you mean. Give me some examples. Perhaps these nebulous problems come from the fact that we push our systems to the breaking point and the makers don't exactly test for that. And I don't think they should really have to.

Here are a few I have been asked about regardless of BIOS updates:
1.Cold boot problems (maybe board specific)
2.Fluctuating VCore (not limited to PSU's but again maybe because of less tolerent voltage regulators)
3.System instability when pushing high HTT (>265MHz).

Super Nade said:
Here are a few I have been asked about regardless of BIOS updates:
1.Cold boot problems (maybe board specific)
2.Fluctuating VCore (not limited to PSU's but again maybe because of less tolerent voltage regulators)
3.System instability when pushing high HTT (>265MHz).
Well none of those are out of the ordinary when you push a system really hard. On any platform or board.

Super Nade said:
Even Cold boot problems?
Well not as often as the other two, but some boards DO have this problem. The most recent one I remember that was notorious for this when pushed was the DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity.

Last edited:
Gnerma said:
Thanks for telling me. What is your PSU and other installed components TMM?

Yes my NBVDD is hardly unmoving. It goes from 1.51 to 1.55. I have it set to default (whatever that is).

PSU is an Antec 480w, powering everything in sig + 2hdds (Western Digitals), DVD drive, and a fan controller powering 5 case fans and a few cold cathodes. The 9800pro sits at stock for general use.

I'd also like to add that due to the large "wingspan" of the xp-120, the regs get alot of "backflow" from it. Reversing the fan to blow away from the board results in higher PWM temps and thus the vcore is less stable.

(and in other news, my board is now 3d stable up to 270htt using 8:2:1 div :D)

Last edited:
Alright so this is what we have so far:

Gnerma
3200+ Winchester - 2.5 Ghz - 1.625v
Fortron 530w (decent steady rails)
1.58 typical, fluctuation between 1.55 - 1.60

Tyranos
3000+ Winchester - 2.3 Ghz - 1.4v
Antec Truepower 430w
Spot on, non fluctuating

Super Nade (Asus A8V /w most MOSFETS sinked)
3500+ Newcastle - unknown speed - 1.65v
Fortron 530w (touchy rails, tweaked pots)
1.67 - 1.63 (usually staying closer to 1.64 - 1.66?)

Skid
3500+ Newcastle - 2.4 Ghz - 1.55v
Fortron 530w
Overvolts, 1.58 - 1.60v

Dexx
unknown CPU - unknown speed - 1.425v
unknown PSU
1.4 - 1.45v

TMM
3200+ unknown core - 2.57 Ghz - 1.575v
Antec Trueblue 480w
1.57 - 1.61v

Ranges: .05, .00, .04, .02, .05, .04
Average fluctuation: .0333
Pure Undervolters: 1
Spot on: 4
Pure Overvolters: 1

So it seems like the undervolt is the only thing REALLY setting my board apart, the fluctuation seems pretty much par for the course.

Last edited:
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but does anyone know where the points are to measure the vcore with a DMM on the AV8? Vdimm? Thanks!

Maybe I should phrase it differently...anyone know where I could go to get this info?

Im not an owner of an AV8 but my NF7s has vcore fluctuations also. I bought a more powerfull PSU and it seemed to help a bit only reducing the fluctuation by .01v
Im thinking about cooling. im not tottaly familiar in how the MOSFETS on your board are layed out but mine are tight in space with the bloody caps in the way so a single heatsink would be difficult. Im thinking about trying a VGA memory cooling kit on them. Ya know the ones that come with 8 or so small copper heatsinks. That should get into the tight places. You could also look for a droop mod for your board.

Back