• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

winter water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebbe@home

Registered
Im kind of getting bored at the noice levels of my fan.
So i got this bright idea.. to get a cheap small radiator from a car wreck and place it outside my window, cus its getting colder all the time here in north of Sweden. Its about 7 to 10C now, and in the winter time the temp somethimes drops below -50C, so i dont think i need any fans to cool the radiator, now im courious if theres a limit how cold a duron can be.
hmm maybe i should move Antartica...

anyway any tips regarding the liquid i should use ??
a mix of water and glycol ?? it must handle atleast -50C
and what kind of tubing ??

Last edited:
freezing

If i let the pump work 24h, even if the computers is of
would the circulation be enough to keep it liquid ?
maybe i just go the to the gas station and ask what people put in their car radiators.

and alochol , maybe if thats work.. this is moonshine country ^_^

concern

Is it healty for the cpu to be cooled below -20C to -50C when its powered down.
So the core dosent crack due to fast expansion when powered up

In my opinion on that would be to not turn the system off with that setup... granted hella idea to keep it cold and all... but you dont want it to get could like that with the system off - if youre really worried about the water freezing use a little bit of Anti-freeze that you would put in your car... that would keep the water from freezing obviouslly...

I would probably use Isopropyl or Grain Alcohol in the system, the highest percentage you can find. The problem you have in this set-up is condensation on the hoses, the pump, the block, everything that comes in contact with the cold liquid. If you've ever seen all of the work you have to do to put a peltier on a chip as far as insulating everything against condensation and etc, think of that times 10. A Peltier only contacts the CPU itself, whereas with cold liquid, you end up having condensation everywhere. (Pretty dangerous) I also would NOT leave the cooling setup running when the system was off, as the quick expansion when powered up could damage your chip.
Anyway, if you do this, please post your temps and let us know how you did with condensation, etc.
Peace
John

condensation

I guess im starting to build and look up parts when the next pay checks comes. One problem is that its kind of expensive to get waterblocks here in sweden around 70-100 us$. i guess its the shipping cost from the states.. any idea for a cheaper solution ?

and about condensation.. im suppose to be a pro.. i have a 2 years education in coolant tech (straight translation from swedish), but i never worked after school .. maybe its time to refresh some memories..

Well, then you're better qualified than some people. As far as waterblocks, I know there are several enthusiast's hardware stores in Europe, so that's a good possibility. Some of the other people from Europe would be better at telling you where to go.
Best of luck to you.
Peace
John

Back