• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe - BIOS ROM Checksum Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silmatharien

A lot of people have asked this question before but I still haven't found an answer.

I have my system overclocked. It is Prime95 stable (tested for 12+ hours). My Corsair PC3200 Twin-X 2 x 512 MB RAM is running at 200 MHz @2.7V. The memory timings are stock ... 6-3-3-2T, I think.

I've tried upping the voltage but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't always get this error when booting up, however. It happes randomly.

Any ideas?

BIOS checksum errors are different than CMOS checksum errors. A BIOS checksum error means that actual code in the BIOS is corrupted. This could be due to actual physical damage to the BIOS chip, or a bad flash.

I would first set everything back to stock, and re-flash the BIOS. Reboot and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, the BIOS chip itself is probably damaged.

Even when I reflash it with the current BIOS, it still doesn't boot occasionally. I haven't tried setting it back to an official BIOS and then flashing it again though.

What's odd is that sometimes I get the BIOS ROM Checksum Eror but at other times the computer just won't boot - I don't get beeps, the monitor doesn't flip on, nothing.

It seems like every time I turn off my computer completely and go to boot it back up, it just hangs on startup. I don't hear beeps or anything. The monitor also does not turn on.

Edit: If I hold the power button on the case to turn it off and then boot up again, I can get into BIOS, change my CPU settings to 2.4 GHz and then boot up completely fine.

Well, like I said the BIOS chip could just be bad. It sucks royally, but it can happen.

I would still try flashing with a different BIOS though. See if that makes any difference.

pcgirl said:
Well, like I said the BIOS chip could just be bad. It sucks royally, but it can happen.

I would still try flashing with a different BIOS though. See if that makes any difference.

Even though Prime95 says my computer is stable, when I clock it down to the default clock speed, my computer seems to boot normally. I guess it's an overclocking issue ... I have only experienced it with this BIOS, however. I haven't got this error with any other BIOSes I've tried.

mine does something similar although it never gave me any error messages or anything. when i turn it off sometimes and try to turn it back on it doesn't do anything at all, no turning on, no fans running nothing, i have to switch off the power supply and wait a few seconds then turn it back on and then it starts. my rig is overclocked and is totally stable and i'm using a bios straight from Asus although it's not the latest version

could it be a power supply issue or is it really something related to the bios

Back