• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade now or later

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth

I was thinking of upgradeing to a AMD 1.4, after doing a little research I think I may have to wait, The P4 Northwood will be out in november, that's not to far off. Only two concerns one price, does anyone know about how much one of theas will cost. and two will the Northwood core really have that much preformance difference over the Willamette. And will the standard 512k l2 be @ full speed or half.

I would upgrade to the AMD. It´s a more cost-effective solution, and is even faster then the P4 (Tho I don´t know how the Northwood will perform).

Take a look at the PR-rating and compare prices. Remember that system performance is not all about CPU power, and the other subsystems come into play here.

I´m no expert on the P4, but I´m quite sure that the AMD system could stand against it for a fairly reasonable price.

i would wait. p4 northwood looks pretty sweet. i'm also interested to see what amd releases to contend with the new p4. radeon 8500 is also coming soon. wait a couple more months if you can.

I would go for the AMD...the reason why P4 is being so slow is becaues none of the software is able to access the full p4 potential...i dunno about the northwood...but i think its gonna be pretty expensive...look at the p4 prices right now...its still like $400 something...when the northwood comes out it might be even more than 400...so economically i would go for the amd...its pretty cheap and performs well...

Back