• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I do >800 Mhz Celeron on BX board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twilight Zone

I am currently running a Celeron 466 PPGA in an old slocket in a Soyo 6BA+III. Am I correct that I need a new FCPGA slocket?

My other question is that the BIOS settings on the mobo only go up to an 8 multiplier. Will a Celeron running at a higher multiplier automatically run at that setting regardless of the mobo?

Thanks very much.

Hey, welcome to the forums! Your current slocket MAY work, check with the manufacturer or look for a "FCPGA" or "Coppermine" jumper on it. The new ones have way different voltages, that's why it could be a problem. As for the multiplier, Celerons usually tell the motherboard their multiplier on their own and workfine, most of the time. If it doesn't work automatically, a BIOS update on the motherB. ought to fix it.

my bx board is running a p3 1000e at 1240mhz. sweeet!!! i know i've been bragging too much.

if your board accepts cu-mine cores then most if not all p3 cu-mine and celeron cu-mines will work.

my abit bx6 2 doesnt have a ten multiplier but since my p3's multiplier is locked at 10 it doesnt matter. just remember to turn off the damn speed error hold.

what slotkit are you using? there is probably a jumper that you can switch from ppga to fcpga. if not, slotkits are like $15.

Thanks for the info, guys. My slocket is a Procomp--unless someone knows otherwise, I'll assume it's just a generic. Only reference is to socket 370, and a jumper to unlock the 66Mhz setting. No reference to FCPGA or Coppermine, so I guess it's new slocket time.

Twilight Zone said:
Thanks for the info, guys. My slocket is a Procomp--unless someone knows otherwise, I'll assume it's just a generic. Only reference is to socket 370, and a jumper to unlock the 66Mhz setting. No reference to FCPGA or Coppermine, so I guess it's new slocket time.
When I went from a 300A to 566 celly using my ppga slocket I couldn,t get it to boot until I got a new FC-pge slocket. IN your case it depends on when it was made. Just try it. It'll either work or it won't. I think the pinout for fc-pga is different than ppga.:confused:

Yes, there is differences beetween pins of FCPGA and PPGA.
My slotket needed one modification: connection beetween
pins AH4(reset) and AX4(reset2). Newer slotkets has jumper
for this connection(PPGA/FCPGA). pin X4 is old locatin for reset,
used in PGA370 celerons, and AH4 is new location. Intel designed this to ensure incompability beetween PGA and FCPGA
celerons.
For more information, see this:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q1/000229/socket370-to-coppermine-01.html

I hope it will help you!

Back