• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everyone's gotta read this: Pentium M destroys FX55 and P4EE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ronaldo said:
this is the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

is this a destroy ????????? is a fair comparision ? one cpu overclocked (like in all reviews before, and other cpu at stock like in all reviews ?

thanks for throwing this link up for us. Im not seeing the destroy anywhere myself. hate it when they oc one chip then leave the others at stock and test them that way. the comical thing is how the dothan @ 2.5 wouldnt complete some of the tests they threw at it yet in the conclusion they talk about its 2.5ghz power. even funnier is how they point to ddr2 like its an advantage over the ddr the dothan would make use of :rolleyes:

crimedog said:
it's faster clock for clock, but the fx-55 clocks much higher :rolleyes:

who's to say what clocks higher? once REAL mobo's for dothans come out, then maybe someone can draw that conclusion, but most dothan oc's are done on really crappy boards, with relatively no oc functionality. the fact that even toms could get 2.5ghz is actually REALLY good news. :)

LOL... that benchmark on Tom's is funny. All the other CPUs are at stock. I just don't understand the comparison.

g0dM@n said:
LOL... that benchmark on Tom's is funny. All the other CPUs are at stock. I just don't understand the comparison.

regardless of stock or oc'd. it does show a dothan at 2.5ish, beating a fx at 2.6ghz in many many tests.

it may not be a "fair" comparison, but it still is useful information, seeing as, clock for clock, the dothan comes out on top most times (even without a fancy on-die mem controller).

I need to find some info about the Dothan b/c I don't know much about it. Anyone mind linking me to something WORTH reading? :)

macci got 3.3 on cascade, tom 2.5 on air, i doubt a new mothboard would help overclockability of the chip. certianly it'll make the overclocking less frustrating (easy access to multipliers and voltage adjustments, therefore high ram speeds) but it's not going to make them overclock higher.

it would make them oc a LOT higher for us little guys (you know, the ones without prommies/cascades..heck even water).

and who knows, with proper voltage adjustments, maybe 2.6-2.7+ could become common on air. that would be some serious performance right there, without having to go to extreem measures to get it.

arent alot of people using p4c800-e with dothans? shouldnt those have plenty of oc options and whatnot?

toms gets alot of neat hardware to play with but sometimes they arent the most objective. a good review imho would involve comparing the diffrent cpus at stock vs each other then max oc vs each other and go from there. then users could throw cost into the equation and make a more informed decision on what they want to do for thier build. i realize there will always be variables with memorys and timings and things of that nature but i think comparing a dothan at stock vs the fx-55 and EE @ stock as well is understandable but then comparing a wholely unstable oc against those same cpus @ stock is a little onesided for as little time as it would take to do it right and clock up the other cpus. alot of us will know what the fx-55 and EE tend to do at diffrent speeds scorewise with regards to popular benchmarks but theres alot more people (who dont frequent oc orientated forums) who would read that review and not have a clue how much a FX or EE could scale up themselves.

i think the p4c800 boards everone is using do not allow voltage adjustments at all when used with the adapter. i think macci had to do vmods for ever change in the voltage he needed.

so, i think that tom's oc is pretty much what it was limited to at stock vcore, but i could be wrong, didn't have time to read the whole thing.

omfg I can't believe I forgot the link sorry guys :p

Anyway, also keep in mind that the Pentium M runs alot cooler and consumes alot less power than a A64 or P4.

I think intell is going to switch to the Pentium M for their desktop CPU's anytime soon. There is no point having a P4 that needs twice the power and doesnt really perform better. I'm sure they can get things like HT and EMT64 to work with the Dothan core. And a dual core Dothan wouldnt be a problem, cuz they run very cool!

BTW, I'm not a Intel fanboy, last Intel I owned is a P133. I was just impressed by those results and I can admit that those Dotans pwn, even though I'm a AMD user.

Last edited:
Click here. You will find alot of information about the dothan and lots of links, and NO AMD VS INTEL lame *** wars.

And yeh FX-55 is 7 months old? Dothan is 6, I guess Dothan being ''new tech'' make things unfair eh? :rolleyes:

And yeh FX-55 is 7 months old? Dothan is 6, I guess Dothan being ''new tech'' make things unfair eh? :rolleyes:

Its unfair that peeps paid $1000 for their CPU and a $600ish one will beat it...AND you dont need anything other than a FSB bump with the "stock" asus fan (which is 70mm) to do it :D

Sure its not "destroying" the FX and EE but still, you gotta admit the chip is impressive.. and the the rest of the CPU's really are getting pwned hehe

Last edited:
Back