• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are HP processors proprietary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PseudosaneX

Registered
I have this HP with a 3.06 C1 and I would like to know if it is proprietary garbage or if I can use it in a newer m/b.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with batboy. the only thing that may be proprietary is the mainboard. I think that its ASUS that is producing boards for HP desktops because one friend of mine has an HP system very similar to mine. He runs his 2400+ Tbred B in an A7V8X-LA board, produced only for HP desktops by ASUS. If you do a little search you will find that this board is not comercialy avaliable and not even supported in the ASUS website

Interesting, i know that PB (Packard Bell) use NEC motherboards - but then again NEC own PB =) Nice to see a prebuild with a quality motherboard in it!

~t0m

EDIT: That said HP do make thier own CPU's, infact relatively recently HP lent some of thier technicians to Intel to help with chip design.

Well, that means only one thing... My P4C800-E DLX, that I purchased new and received used, is crap.

I've been waiting on my new CT-479 (bent the pins on the first one) for my 730 Sonoma and a Celly 315 to test out the board, but I grew impatient and pulled the 3.06 out of my HP.

The setup includes:

P4C800-E DLX
Pentium 4 3.06HT (from HP desktop)
Corsair XMS3200 512x2
FSP 500w Blue Storm
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Lian-Li PC60
Seagate 7200rpm SATA 160gb
LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM
3.25" Floppy

When I press the power button the everything spins up, but NO POST. (CPU fan, 5-80mm case fans, vid card fan, DVD-ROM, and HD) I have cleared the CMOS at least 20 times. I moved the memory around in every possible order, single and dual. I disconnected all wires except the ATX 20pin and 4pin leaving the CPU, RAM, and vid card, but still nothing. I've read in 3 different forums...4 counting the Asus forums and I still can't figure this thing out. So, any ideas?

I'm a phone call away from RMAing this so anything to prevent me from doing that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Pull the battery out for about 30 seconds. It's what I did to get my P4C to POST, but I never bothered clearing CMOS or anything.

Gautam said:
Pull the battery out for about 30 seconds. It's what I did to get my P4C to POST, but I never bothered clearing CMOS or anything.

I did that once or twice throughout the lengthy process, but I will try once more before I head out.

you might try booting with only one stick of memory, putting in a regular 478 proc, and reflashing to current bios, etc. try it all man, you may get lucky.
also i think you have to be at 200 mhz fsb to boot those suckers dont you?
or is that just for enhanced memory to work?
im new to this dothan thing, so bear with me ok. but dead mobo's yeah that sucks.

aopen is making one now for dothans, now making the 479 obsolete? but its so new i dont know if anyones had the chance to test them yet. we'll see. (soon i hope)

Spade said:
you might try booting with only one stick of memory, putting in a regular 478 proc, and reflashing to current bios, etc. try it all man, you may get lucky.
also i think you have to be at 200 mhz fsb to boot those suckers dont you?
or is that just for enhanced memory to work?
im new to this dothan thing, so bear with me ok. but dead mobo's yeah that sucks.

aopen is making one now for dothans, now making the 479 obsolete? but its so new i dont know if anyones had the chance to test them yet. we'll see. (soon i hope)

I have tried all memory combinations, single and dual channel, with 3 different types. ;)

I am going down to the store to pick up an inexpensive bare bones set. I will swap thing out and test.

what video card do you have in it? try booting it with no vid card, and see if you can hear some beep codes. i've had similar problems in the past (everything spins up, but not a peep outta it), and it came down to the vid card i was trying to use.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
what video card do you have in it? try booting it with no vid card, and see if you can hear some beep codes. i've had similar problems in the past (everything spins up, but not a peep outta it), and it came down to the vid card i was trying to use.

Radeon 9800 Pro
FIC type

I already tried with a PCI adapter

i875P officially supports 533FSB processors so you should get it to work. Are you sure the CPU is still ok? did you try putting it back in the hp system and does that still work?!

Lancelot said:
i875P officially supports 533FSB processors so you should get it to work. Are you sure the CPU is still ok? did you try putting it back in the hp system and does that still work?!

Yes, the 3.06 works in the HP. I also tried a Celly 315 in the P4C with the same results. Does this constitute a RMA or what?

Alright, I've made some progress, but not much.

M/B is on cardboard. Monitor gets a signal (green light now instead of orange), but stays black. Speaker gives continuous beeps. What now?

IDIOT! CONNECT THE DAMN VIDEO CARD MOLEX!!! :D

aNTiChRisT said:
Interesting, i know that PB (Packard Bell) use NEC motherboards - but then again NEC own PB =) Nice to see a prebuild with a quality motherboard in it!

~t0m

EDIT: That said HP do make thier own CPU's, infact relatively recently HP lent some of thier technicians to Intel to help with chip design.

packard bell is owned by nec

Back