• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first setup need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Waterblock design has begun to focus on the point of entry of the water - In particular, it should be centered directly over the cpu. Your design is typically called a cross-flow or maze - Simple and effective.
A little company in Australia pioneered a new design years ago, using impingement. You can read-up on it if you do a search for White Water or Little River Waterblocks.
dangerden.com now manufactures a waterblock based on the original principles from Little River. I modified your picture below to *roughly* represent how this style waterblock is different.
In a nutshell: Inlet is in the center, so the coldest water hits the hottest part of the block and also minimizes the diminishing effects of surface tension via the velocity of the water hitting the base from a vertical entry, as opposed to traversing across the center of the waterblock with a lateral (maze) type flow.
The fins in the center should be smaller, as to maximize surface area above the cpu. Outerfins should be designed to primarly direct the flow to the outlet ports-
On a sidenote, you can use one outlet port, but then you're design will be asymetrical and as such, suffers a minor performance loss when compared to a dual outlet design.

The picture below is anything but a template. Its just an illustration of a few design ideas.

On a final note, one of the most important aspects of the latest waterblocks, is putting some sort of resistance in the entry port to accelerate the water. A nozzle with a slit cut in it is a popular choice. The stronger your waterpump is, the more resistrictive you want that entry point to be, which results in higher velocity water hitting the bottem of your block.

128gb.jpg

i see.
i wish i could use more resistrictive blocks .
but due to the size of my rad , all the "power" of them pump is needed there .
and also , cross flow works for me , i don't want top of the line performance , just effective , cheap , silent system.
i gonna use the cross flow design for my : cpu, nb , gpu.
my hdd block will be a simple three copper layer block

i make them in a friends workshop , he has all the tools i need.
i gonna make 5 of each.
if u have any advice to give me, send it

The Big One said:
i make them in a friends workshop , he has all the tools i need.
i gonna make 5 of each.
if u have any advice to give me, send it
First get the MCP655, its very small and light. Greenman100 shipped me a box with Chevette core, MCW50 (VGA block), MCP600, copper top WhiteWater (weights as much as the heatcore) all for 34$ so shipping isn't an issue.

Tubing from Ace is fine, it doesn't kink easly.

Get everything you need right here from the classifieds, ask the shipper to mark it as a gift and total value under 50$ and it will not be taxed.
If I think of anything else I'll drop you a note.

P.S
Where you from BTW?

i'm from Tveria
i get the tubes from "dgani silicon" so i'll have a tubing as good as tygon.
i'll try to get the 655.

The Big One said:
i see.
and also , cross flow works for me , i don't want top of the line performance , just effective , cheap , silent system.

if you can afford it, i'd get a second pump... maybe do it later when (if) you feel like getting a better (more restrictive) block. Then you can put them in series to get more pressure, allowing you to use whatever blocks you want on that monster radiator.

:(
one more thing
my rad now is a single tube
i gonna try to mod it into a less restrictive rad
but i have 3 options
1. a single pass ; hot water comes from up down.
2. dual pass , one side hot second cold
3. dual pass , each line is hot or cold

The Big One said:
i see.

I am assuming that your loop will consist of pump > RAD > CPU..etc? Why don't you run pump > CPU > RAD... etc? That way you won't lose much of your pressure through the RAD. I know some will say that the pressure would not change seeing it is a closed system but a direct connection to the CPU from the pump would be great if you are worried about loosing pressure.

Good luck to you,
Bryan D.

ppl , newz brake!!!
i got acsess to CNC!!!
what block should i make , with the fact i got a CNC ?

Back