• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost right channel today with headphones... broken?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I have Sennheiser PC150s and right now there is no sound coming from the right ear. I'm assuming they're broken, but I'd just like to ask here and see if anyone has any tips or things to check out before I have to end up buying yet another pair of headphones :(

If they are broken, any recommendations for a new headset or does a pure headphones + desk microphone combo work out better?

Oh yeah, I do care about quality but probably not an audiophile. I do listen to some music but I do a lot of gaming.

Well it looks as if my microphone doesn't work either now.

Also, I've tested it on another computer to make sure it's not just a software issue. I believe there's a physical problem. Right now I'm going to check and see if Sennheiser has any warranty stuff I can take advantage of.

E-mail Sennhesier USA about warranty. I believe most of their line carries a TWO year warranty on headphones. They will ask you for proof of purchase, and a purchase receipt.

For a replacement headphone, how much are you willing to spend? Cheapest route that I have is a Senn HD497 with a logitech extreme gaming headphone that I use as a mic. Most expensive route I have would be the same logitech with HD650's. I'd also consider investing in some $5 banana hangers to hang your headphones and reduce future "breakage."

hd650.jpg
hd497.jpg

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I already e-mailed them.

I'd be willing to spend maybe $100 for a good pair.

Well first familiarize yourself with general background on several companies listed in the headphone sticky Here

In no specific order here's some recommendations:

Grado / Allessandro
Grado SR60
Allessandro MS1 (Music Series One)
These phones are easily driven by the soundcards of computers.

Sennheiser
HD280
I should mention that these phones are CLOSED, meaning that they block out surrounding sounds up to 32db (according to Sennheiser)

Audiotechnica
ATH A500
*Notice that the ATHA500 is a tad over 100 (105) + tax/shipping. These are Closed Dynamic headphones.

I'd also reccommend the Sennheiser HD 497 which can be had for under $60 and if you want some bigger cans the HD 555 which is around $150. These cans perform well in gaming sessions and the HD 555 would probably be the most confortable.

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
Yes they are. The two I was looking at before were the A500s and HD280s.

So... if I got some new headphones, what's a good solution for the microphone? I've seen some microphones that just have a cord and can be hooked up to headphones, and I could also get a standup one to just put on my desk.

If you can't claim warranty;
Did you drop or pull them before they broke?
If so most likely place for a loose wire is just inside the headset and can be fairly easily re-attached.
For future buy.. i used the Sennheiser HD280 headphones. They rule :p

It's possible that I did, and that's what I'm assuming happened somehow, but it wouldn't have been anything big.

I'm assuming I can claim the warranty since I checked the record and it's still there on NewEgg so I should be able to use that right? Still, might take a look inside since there aren't any "warranty void if seal is broken" things.

Cyrix_2k said:
The A500's are closed too, right?

oops yeah they are closed :D

Gregory_WE said:
It's possible that I did, and that's what I'm assuming happened somehow, but it wouldn't have been anything big.

I'm assuming I can claim the warranty since I checked the record and it's still there on NewEgg so I should be able to use that right? Still, might take a look inside since there aren't any "warranty void if seal is broken" things.

Well depending on how long you've had the phones, newegg could take care of you. If newegg can't cover you I'd e-mail Sennheiser USA. They will usually require a copy of the receipt and have you send in the phones for repair/replacement. Sennheiser is usually pretty good about this.

Gregory_WE said:
Yes they are. The two I was looking at before were the A500s and HD280s.

So... if I got some new headphones, what's a good solution for the microphone? I've seen some microphones that just have a cord and can be hooked up to headphones, and I could also get a standup one to just put on my desk.

Well for a mic you could use any old PC mic. I currently use THIS mic on top of my monitor. I used to have a couple Plantronics mics that I would put around my neck but the all fell apart. Hopefully this Logitech one stays around for a while :bang head

Anyways, good luck in your RMA / replacement of headphones or a headphone upgrade :D

Last edited:

Even with some of the top brands.. the wiring isn't the greatest at the connections.. and even the littlest drop could pull a wire loose.

If it's on the top of the monitor do you need to lean forward to talk into it?

BTW can't do it with NewEgg though since it's been 1 year and 2.5 months (it's 1 year).

Gregory_WE said:
If it's on the top of the monitor do you need to lean forward to talk into it?

BTW can't do it with NewEgg though since it's been 1 year and 2.5 months (it's 1 year).

I don't have to lean or anything. The mic pics up my voice sitting comfortably in my chair.

In any case I'd shoot Sennheiserusa an e-mail and see what they can do for you. If not then upgrade time it is! :santa:

They still haven't responded, I'm assuming I'll get a response tomorrow since it's the weekend (I had to work overtime this weekend so they should too!).

Ok, is the NewEgg invoice information that you can print off on their website good enough as a proof of purchase? I'm not sure what else you could show other than original packing material.

Back