• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with my mb/ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Translucid

Registered
for some reason i cant get my mb to run my ram in dual channel mode, i have no idea why. my hardware is in my sig. any help would be appreciated, also i have tryed to run a few different sticks of matched ram thats suppose to beable to run in dual channel, one of the sticks i use to have were Geil gold dragon 3200 ram that were a dual channel kit 2x512 i sent them back cause they wouldnt boot my system with all stock settings. another pair was some corsair value ram i borrowed from my friend that was also a dual channel kit 2x512, and the most current is my infineon 2x512 that are a dual channel kit they will boot, but only into windows long enough to crash back to dos.

i have tryed slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 only boots in 1 and 2, also i only have an msi mb at my disposal right now. and i do agree, i have had MASSIVE problems with their ummm whats it called dynamic overclocking i would be playing a game and would look at cpu-z and right before i lock up it would be displaying 6-7 ghz then my pc would eigther freeze or crash. im lookin to buy a dfi or asus mb i do have a agp graphics card so i dont realy wanna upgrade that also, and also i have tryed 1:1 and 3:4 on my ram neigther would boot, another thing i have tryed is realy loose timings and below stock speed.

I agree that Abit and Asus are the two best overclocking mobos, but the Abit AI7 is not the best choice for a Prescott. I would recommend the IC7-G if you have a socket 478 processor.

Translucid, this is a "known " problem with the MSI boards

Like others had said put the sticks in 1 & 3 but this time bump up the Vdimm ( Memory voltage ) to 2.7 or 2.8 ( use which ever is the lowest the system will run stable )

The default voltage is 2.5 and many have reported trouble when trying to run dual channel unless they raise it.

You should also " Disable " DOT this can be done in the bios

This is a pretty stable board once you work out the bugs My system has been running stable and overclocked for over a year now .

feel free to PM me if you like and I will walk you thru the settings step by step if you like .

Hope this helps
Dave

PS hey BATBOY whats up ?

its not that im on a budget, i will spend an extra 50 or 60 bucks on a motherboard, i just dont wanna spend another 400-500 dollars on a new video card when the one i have is perfectly fine. also i will try to run in dual channel again with the raised vdimm only time i tryed it was at stock. but reguardless i think im gunna buy the Abit IC7-G i875P. i would like to get ddr2, but im guessing that only comes with a pci-e board. but this ram looks pretty good, and i think i could get a nice overclock outta it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

also one thing i wanted to know, i have never realy done any hardcore overclocking, but how do i raise the vcore. i cant with the bios or i cant find it anyways if i can. sofar i would say my temps are pretty good for a almost 800 mhz overclock on air, and being a prescott.

but how do i raise the vcore

What Revsion i your board ( the easy way to tell is when the system first boots tell me what BIOS Version you have )

If you have a "Revison One" board ( Bios versions that start witha 2.#) you can't as MSI chose to lock the VCore with when using a Prescott because the motherboard cannot supply the extra current without frying

you can read about it here

Prescott Dangerous Tweeks

If you have a " Revision 2" board ( bios version will start with a 3.#) then you can change it by flashing with the latest bios for the board .

Dave

Back