• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad deal....I think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=319742&cmid=dsr&ref=dsr

My friend saw this in the add, and asked me if it was a good deal.....

I don't think its a good deal...

1) its socket 478
2) Not a intel chip set
3) p4 only 533MHz fsb...so no HT
4) not really upgradable and able to stay current

Correct me if I'm wrong but is my thinking correct?

oh it was going to be a replacement for is 1.4 GHz P4 willment(or what ever it is)...I'll tell him its better than his currents set up but, its not really worth the 80 bucks. Please tell me if I'm wrong in my thinking....

Shelnutt2

IMO its decent, in his place Id go for it

D

MSI + Via = complete nightmare

Honestly, I'd first pay $80 for a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

larva said:

Thats what I was thinking to. He just needs to wait and get a 775 socket 945/55 chipset.

Mr_Fuchs said:
thats mot a bad deal at all.. for the chip alone thats decent

my point exactly intels dont usually sell for under 100 by themselves

D

Mr_Fuchs said:
thats mot a bad deal at all.. for the chip alone thats decent

ok so I got 2 good deals and 1 bad idea....

Should he just buy it for the chip even though its 478 and has no HT, 533MHz not 800Mhz FSB?

Then agian it will be much better than his wilemett wouln't it?

larva said:

I concur. To specify my point, MSI BIOS support is the worst, judging from the things I've read. I have no idea why they are considered to be a top tier manufacturer.

Shelnutt2 said:

Should he just buy it for the chip even though its 478 and has no HT, 533MHz not 800Mhz FSB?

what board does he have ? maybe just buy a used cpu from the classifieds ?

D

larva said:

LMAO!!! :D Thats one way to put it.
Depending on what he plans on doing with it, light gaming and internet use, pretty good deal IMO, but he could do better for a little more $...

fuchs sez:

buy the combo and sell the board

or

buy the combo sell everything and buy a better chip, but the chip wont be compable with the williamette board

i sold a 400fsb 2.0a ghz chip for 80 bucks on cl pretty quickly without the fan (used) ... and this is all new stuff

for the chip....not bad, but the board.....get a better refurb for cheaper, (my way of getting stuff :D) and the refurb may actually work, MSI...yuck

I'd rather get a used 2.4C for around $80 and then a decent used motherboard for about $40. Overclock it and you'll get much, much better performance.

that's a good deal considering a lot of low end pentiums go for more than 100 dollars by themselves....
you could probably hawk the mobo on ebay for low price, then pick up a decent 30 dollar refurb one off of newegg....

Shelnutt2 said:

If he really needs an $80 cpu, get a Celeron D. A 2.66 LGA775 Celeron D is just a few buck over $80 and will likely do 4GHz with proper support. Newegg has been selling refurb Asus P5P800s lately for $46. A 4GHz Celeron D will so badly humble a 2.26 P4 and be upgradeable to large P4 LGA775 processors. And he won't be tempted to use that garbage motherboard.

I dunno personally used MSI myself most are fine, but OC'ing not very good, but that board suckz really bad. Wait and get a 775, although i suppose anything will be better than that willamette.

IMO it's garbage, if your going to run an Intel CPU, run a Intel chipset. and I would also go with LGA-775 because development of S478 boards, cpus ect are dead.

Nasgul said:
For Intel there's only ASUS & ABIT (asus mostly) and Intel's own core logic.

I have a soyo mobo that works great and is a great OC'er.

Thanks for all you advice guys. I'm just gona give it to him strait. Its not a good mobo. It's a great deal. You could buy it turn around ans sell it or a profit most likely. It will be better than your surrent setup.

Back