• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

increasing fan speed on an x800xl agp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blitzkrieg1110

is there a way that i can increase the fan speed on my x800xl. i might try overclocking soon now that ive pretty much broken in the card and im wondering if i can do this manually so that it will stay on 100%. if so, that wont hurt the card or decrease the lifespan right? if its unsafe im not going to keep it at 100%.

ok i will check that out, do you know if its safe to leave it at 100% all the time? i dont mind noise at all cause i have my airconditioner in and i have headphones on all the time.

u can leave it at 100% 24\7, in fact its a good idea doing that

Really the only 2 reasons it spins down when its not needed is to save you noise and to save the fan life. But really, I don't see it having a huge impact on the fan's life unless you leave your rig on for like months at a time, which isn't good anyway... since it would cause games to get unstable after a while.

It's fine to leave your comp on for extended periods of time. The fan will actually last longer if you leave it on at 100% because it is not spinning up and down to largely different rpm's and therefore reducing the stress on the fan. Hard drives are like this too.

While it doesn't REALLY do much, it does cause system instability when dealing with msot windows. Even Windows 2003 server and whatnot. My best uptime on my windows 2000 server is like 3 months.

As for the fan lasting longer at one speed, I am not sure thts entirely true. IF you thin kabout it, its like a light bulb. IT iwll last for so many hours and then quit. Where as if, say, you turn your computer on only once a week, the fan will last longer.

And hard drives that are constantly spinning up and working will die faster than if they are idle.

i can clear this up right now, if a fan is left at 100%, its lifespan is not affected and if anything may last longer because it isnt having to keep changing variables all the time, as stated above by someone :)

HDDs that rule isnt strictly true either, i have several HDDs that are like 6-8 years old, all of which were constantly in use but they are still alive and kicking today with no bad clusters :)

I don't mean to steal this thread but... its a simple matter of mechanics. Think about it: If you overvotl a fan, it lasts a shoter time. If you undervolt a fan, it lasts longer. How do you control the fan speed? Voltage. How do you lower the fan speed? Lower voltage. Up it? Higher voltage. Lower votlage = longer lifespan, therefore, it woulod probably let the fan last, what, 5 minutes longer? It doesn't make much of a difference at that point. What my point was is that if you have your computer on 24/7, there is more variables than just it's speed. There is dust, etc. But if it only runs an hour a week, the fan will last longer as the dust has time to settle in the case and not gum up the fan.

HDDs, yes I have plenty of ancient HDDs. Runnign a server is can stress a drive alot. It makes for alot of burst seeks and small reading, but alot at the same time. But the more the HDD seeks, the less lifespan it will have. IT doesn't mean the drive will die tomorow.. it means that the heads might fail quicker, or the motor migth fail quicker, or the controller board might fail quicker, that kind of crap. And bad clusters has nothing to do with it... at all.

Simple mechanics. The more a mechanical device works, the smaller it's lifespan gets. I don't see that as very arguable.

Now, to move the trhead BACK on topic, I was looking for that TV program I was using with my PNY Personal Cinema and I found it. ITs called TViewer. ITs VERY simple, but extremely small (59 k I think), and it worked just great for me. There are other solutions as well, but most of them cost money.

I will keep my eye out, however.

Back