• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R520 has a 512bit DDR3 Interface? (Source:HKEPC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does anyone have any ideo of when these should be available? I don't plan to buy one but the price drop they will cause might help me get a better card. By the way is 512bit necessary or is it going to be like 512mb, which was an improvement but not really needed right now.

jokers_greg said:
no no, just compare the same card that has a mem interface 100% less than another. the difference is huge

It doesn't work like that, the reason why there is no improvement with 512mb of ram is because there is no need for the extra mem, so my question is, are we being bottlenecked by the 256bit interface so bad that we need to move to 512mb to get enough bandwitdh for the core.

I definantly am waiting and ready to purchase the best videocard in the fall..wether its this or the 7800 ultra. if ATI gets the better card.. I will get x2 in Crossfire, if nvidia does, same but in SLI. im guessing the prices will be from 600-650?

H4Z4RD0US said:
I definantly am waiting and ready to purchase the best videocard in the fall..wether its this or the 7800 ultra. if ATI gets the better card.. I will get x2 in Crossfire, if nvidia does, same but in SLI. im guessing the prices will be from 600-650?

I doubt they will be that low at launch. :p

Also, I'll assume you plan on upgrading the rest of your system before getting even one of these monsters?

Hate to say it, but all of this is completely irrelevant until we have the actual card. I'll pass judgement once ATI feels compelled to give us something more than paper.

deception``

deception`` said:
Hate to say it, but all of this is completely irrelevant until we have the actual card. I'll pass judgement once ATI feels compelled to give us something more than paper.

deception``

That is what I was saying. I need reviews. I like ati but not a fan boy. I really need a vid card but want to see how it compares to the 7800 before I drop the cash.

TheGreySpectre said:
ahhh college is expensive, and so are video cards

Who needs college? ;)

This looks pretty good, although, really I am only interested in crossfire coming out. I want to hook up my x850 with crossfire and kick toal *** :)

EDIT: Relative ***. Obviously it will be hard to beat out this R520 dealy.

deception`` said:

deception``

Tell us something we don't know ;)

Don't you think it's a bit silly to expect no discussion on upcoming hardware? I'm with you Sen, the minute these hit retail I'll have one, maybe two :D

El<(')>Maxi said:
Tell us something we don't know ;)

Don't you think it's a bit silly to expect no discussion on upcoming hardware? I'm with you Sen, the minute these hit retail I'll have one, maybe two :D

I suppose this is true. Trust me when I say that I am no fanboy of anything really; however, I am just sick and tired of how ATI has strung many of us along when it comes to some of their recent technology. r520...Crossfire....Grouper....the list goes on. To make matters worse, NVIDIA (who is usually guilty of the same paper-launch mess) has actually managed to DELIVER on time, which makes this seem even more foolish.

Like so many here, I am one of those who has refrained from purchasing a high-end video card so that I may compare the 7800 to the r520; unfortunately, there's only so long that a man can wait for something that has been floating around the 'net for months :-/

deception``

deception i agree with you totally....nvidia might have messed up a bit in the past few years but they seem to be back into the swing of things. right now they are crushing ati in the high end sector (dont know about low-mid range) but i appreciate that nvidia is trying to do things on time instead of a pushed back release date on everything.

Yes it is frustrating, particularly when there has been so much talk of it's dominating specs. My problem with Nvidia is it inefficiency, they are system hog's compared to ATI card's. So for me I don't mind waiting on ATI if they deliver close to what's been projected.

ATI prices have also fallen recently so lets hope when this card does emerge we can all join the party.

Back