• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I modified my AGP 7800 to fit in a pci slot...need some help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

My dell's motherboard doesn't have an agp slot so applied the following mod to my new 7800 so I could use it in PCI slot. When I boot it's not being detected...am I supposed to get a special driver?

Attachments

• pci7800.JPG
    pci7800.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 5,806
Oh no!

Mate, what have you done? You have destryed a perfectly good card. First off, I think you are joking :)

I have not heard of a 7800 nor have I heard of a 7800 AGP. Nice try :p

Now, I'd like to state that you cannot mod an AGP card to fit a PCI or PCI-E slot. Different architecture, voltage, signalling and timing sequences. So, this is not possible to do and no driver will facilitate such a mod.

Super Nade said:
Oh no!

Mate, what have you done? You have destryed a perfectly good card. First off, I think you are joking :)

I have not heard of a 7800 nor have I heard of a 7800 AGP. Nice try :p

Now, I'd like to state that you cannot mod an AGP card to fit a PCI or PCI-E slot. Different architecture, voltage, signalling and timing sequences. So, this is not possible to do and no driver will facilitate such a mod.

It's called a GT or GTX or something. I don't know what kind of plug that is, I'm guessing it's AGP, but my motherboard lacks a port for it to plug into, so I have nothing to go by. Any other suggestions before I RMA this?

Mate,

I still think you are joking :). However if you destroyed a GTX (or anything else for that matter), you cannot RMA it! Never heard of a 7800GTX/GT AGP either :p

All current 7800GTs and 7800GTXs are set in PCI-E 16x connections. There is no current AGP verison of the 7800s, but expected to be one by the end of this year.

Your 7800GT or GTX is more then guaranteed to be a PCI-E one, unless you snuck one out of nVIDIA, thats if it's already made. Shows some more pictures and we'll believe you =D

Nah you don't need any modified drivers. As a matter of fact..

You do'n need no stinkin' drivers mahng.

:D.

J.

Are you the same person who posted in this thread?

I've seen this 'joke' on a few of the forums i frequent, apparently its believed the picture is altered using Photoshop CS2.

Looks like that experiment to fit it in a PCI-E (1x or whatever) smaller lane / shorter slot.

Good try anyhow! :p

darksparkz said:
All current 7800GTs and 7800GTXs are set in PCI-E 16x connections. There is no current AGP verison of the 7800s, but expected to be one by the end of this year.

Your 7800GT or GTX is more then guaranteed to be a PCI-E one, unless you snuck one out of nVIDIA, thats if it's already made. Shows some more pictures and we'll believe you =D

actually, nvidia stated that they WON'T be making an agp version btw

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! I just wet my pants laughing :D

Edit- Ok, now im back in dry pants :D

Thats real funny/ stupid :D, instead of screwen up ur stuff if u really did, why not try sending them to mod for you(or rather, just keep it away from u:D) Ill even pay for the postage :D

okay wtf dude, that was a horrible joke.

btw, 3dflyer:

Not a single card has maxed out the AGP max bandwith... I don't see how much better the PCI-E slot is than the AGP slot, maybe the 7800 is JUST a bit too powerful for the AGP slot, but still...

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Lol, I think SuperNade ruins all the jokes .. unless hes serious .... if thats the case .. you just ****ed up a really expensive card :-/

Guilty as charged :)

Apologies to SolidXSnake for the delay in sending out his Pentium Pro (w MMX). I'll do it Monday mate :)

Back