• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest Laptop Ever?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess I should cancel my order for 2 terrabyte storage huh?

I really wanted to beleive. I figured with all the bad news out there had to be some good news. Yeah I was roped in. I wish it was real. :(

JT

I just would like to point out that fiberoptic computers and connectors have been in the works for quite some time now, and are atleast in the development stages (while already on the maket as audio connectors).

Most of us know about transistors in chips and how they carry data within a pc, and this is what is being used in chips made my intel, amd and the sort as we keep on hearing 'oo this chip has x amount of transistors, or this chip has this amount of transistors', but something that i havent seen much on these forums is talk about fiber optics and how it can help us in the development of faster, more secure and cost effective computers. I wont lie to you and say that i know much about this, but i have just entered university and will be studying and focusing on the development of fiber optics over the next few years, so just take what i say with a grain of salt as i am no expert.

There is this technology which is being developed called plasmonics, and it is attempting to incorporate the best of both worlds (transistors and fiber optics). You can read a bit about it HERE and a more detailed description of plasmonics can be found HERE .

As i do not have much time atm and have to leave, I would just like to say to all of the skeptics out there, do not always dismiss new radical technologies and claims. Yes, you do have a right to be skeptic about certain things as we have been fooled in the past, but I encourage all of you to, at the very least, google a certain topic up and see if there have been any published articles about these claims that people, websites, and/or companies are making.

But all and all, after taking a quick glance at the pictures on Atom's site, they do look somewhat photochoped, but maybe there is a reason or an explanation for that. Just let time run its course and we shall eventually discover the truth about all of this.

Raven

Here is a link to wikipedia on plasmons.

I dont doubt the technologies exist or are in development. I doubt that there put together by some nobody and introduced into a laptop. Dont you really think that say Intel for example would be much more likely to design things like this? They know the money potential in coming out with new technologies first. :santa:

Just thought I would add they are in CES 2006...unless he h4x0red the website and stuck it in there. or made an entire copy of it just running on his machine.

Pyros said:
I dont doubt the technologies exist or are in development. I doubt that there put together by some nobody and introduced into a laptop. Dont you really think that say Intel for example would be much more likely to design things like this? They know the money potential in coming out with new technologies first. :santa:

Intel and AMD might be working on this technology already, but whos to say that another company or person cannot discover and put this to market first? I mean intel and AMD are not the only companies out there. These guys might have been researching this for years now, and finally put together a working machine. I mean just look at sony, and the cell chip, why didnt Intel or AMD create and produce this type of product with 7 to 8 working cores? Also, we have to look at google. They were not a big comany at one point, and now they are rapidly growing and competing against the likes of microsoft in certain areas. Who's to say that another company wont be able to create a better gpu/video card than ATI or nVidia?

Ill give you this, that many of these comopanies have been around for quite a while, and are somewhat well known, but there are many projects being worked on in universities, colleges, companies and garage/basements. I realize that we would expect the next technological breakthrough to come from a company such as Intel or AMD, but ruling out other ppl just isnt logical.

I agree with you that something like this has a greater chance of being a hoax, but why not think about it just a little bit and how it, if it does come to market, would affect everyong today.

LAME, if you're going to pull off something like this at least make it reasonable enough so that it makes sense.

ATOM Chip, what an idiot!!!!

Here's something from their website

SALE PRICE

These products will outperform at a much lower cost
any other RAM devices that are currently being produced.

The NvIOpRAM [ATA IDE] products have the selling price of $2.50 per 1GB.

NvIOpSRAM [144-pin SODIMM] products have the selling price of $4.50 per 1GB.

NvIOpSRAM [200-pin SODIMM] products have the selling price of $6.00 per 1GB.

so with one 1TB of ram, ram would cost $6000
and with 2TB of storage, it would be $5000

so if this laptop was for sale it would take many years to pay for it

not working

its a dead give away, a company this "powerful" should be able to produce more than images with a WEBCAM

this is like that insane laptop with dos 8.0, that could become self aware lol

Theres some nutty quad CPU sun laptop out there thats like a portable raid server.

Yay for BS...

supposing it was true, your would have 96GB of unusable RAM as it is not a 64bit system so it can run windows 64bit, which is the only version of windows to supportmore than 4GB of ram

Tp ,ale ot evem semi believable the guy would need a website that doesnt look like it was built with by a 12 year old with a web cam

It most likely is BS.
But the technology of plasmonics and the like is amazing. Lets hope one day they will figure out how to create laptops such as this one.

Back