• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

750 or 650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sshadow

Well, my dilemma is which one to choose.

I just got in my mail, from work, that i can choose either one of them.

HP Pavilion dv1362EA
Main features:
Screen: 14" WXGA (1280x768) Brightview
Proc: Pentium-M 750 1.86Ghz (no pin mod available for this one)
chip: i855GM
Ram: 512mb
HDD: 80gb
GPU: Intel Extreme Graphics 2, shared 64mb
Standard Laptopkeyboard
Weights about 2.5kg

HP Pavilion zd8290EA
Main features:
Screen: 17" WXGA (1440x900) Brightview
Proc: Preshot 650 3.4Ghz
chip: i915P
Ram: 1024mb
HDD: 100gb
GPU: Ati mobility X600
Full Win keyboard
Weights about 4.2kg

Both of them have a HP f2105 (21", 1680x1050, 12ms), to add to it.

So my question is, which one do you think i should choose. :D

//Christian

I'd prefer the Pentium-M platform over the P4M. However, if you plan on running any games on it, the P4M box will do you better.

J.

Get the p4 if you are going to keep it on a desk; get the P-M if you would like to put your laptop on your lap without frying your intimate areas.

If battery life isn't important and you want to play games then get option two with P4, if you are not planing on playing games and mobility is important to you get option one with P-M

lincolnompa said:
Get the p4 if you are going to keep it on a desk; get the P-M if you would like to put your laptop on your lap without frying your intimate areas.
Hmm, good points.

I will mostly use it in the car, so batterylife isn't so much of a worry with an adapter. But when i am at home i will propably have it in my lap, or at the kitchentable.
But if i wanna play on lesuiretime i should get the P4 then, its hard to decide. It all comes down to what i need. :D

//Christian

I would get the PM just for weight, heat, and battery life. You can still play old school games, ands this way you will get more work done :)

Don't they do a PM with good specs?

I have a 1.7 Centrino w/ 9700 128meg gig ram etc

Mind you, battery time blows on it imo.. never get what it states.

Runs nice thou...hate the widescreen.

It more or less comes down to Power vs Battery life. The 650 is a powerhouse of a laptop but I would guess you would get around 1.5 to 2hours of the battery. I would hope for 3+ hours from the Pentium-M.

ShadowPho said:
Choose:
Doom 2 or Doom3
IF you want to play Doom2 choose the PM, if you want to play Doom3 choose the P4.
If the money is issue go for the first one..
Money isn't the problem, the problem is i can only choose one or the other.

David
True, one would like 3+ on a workday. Trying to find a review or some sort on the 650 specs, no luck so far.

The 650 is tempting, but i think it leans towards the P-M if batterylife is 33% better. Less usage of carbattery etc. Nevertheless, i gotta calculate on the time i spend on the road versus sitting "stationary" if it proves less than 3 hours. Gaah decisions.

//Christian

Back