• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older laptops any value or interesting ideas for use? SONY/Gateway/HP/ASUS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m715

Over the last couple of years people know I like to play with computers so I've been given a few older laptops and I've picked up a couple "broken" ones pretty cheap.

Is there value to any of them?
or Is there something cool and inventive I could do with 1 or more?
(besides just shooting with a high powered rifle :snipe:)

#1 - Gateway MA1 laptop
- Intel Pentium M 1.60GHz; 512MB RAM; 60GB HDD; DVD/CDRW; WiFi; WINXP; 15" LCD
- 2 AC chargers, boots but dosn't recognize HDD...might be bad

#2&3 - (2) SONY Vaio - VGN-B100B laptop
- Intel Pentium M 1.60GHz; 512MB RAM; 60GB HDD; DVD/CDRW; WiFi; WINXP; 14.1" LCD
- 1 AC charger
- (1) boots and runs fine; (1) starts to boot then goes black...

#4&5 - (2) HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV9500/DV9000 laptops
- Intel Core 2 Duo 1.50 GHz; 2.0GB RAM; 120GB HDD; DVD-RW w/LS; WiFi; WIN VISTA; 17.0”; Nvidia GeForce 8400m
- 1 AC charger, number of accessories
- both laptops are well used and pretty beat, case cracks, both had broken hinges, fixed (one frankenstin style)
- DV9500 - I used for a while as a HTPC in the bedroom, it is pretty beat but functions, screen bezel destroyed, 5 keys on keyboard non-functional
- DV9000 - boots but graphics are scrambled, so GPU is probably cooked, might be able to be fixed with an oven bake, but not worth the time

#6 - ASUS 15.6" laptop (actually paid a little for this one :p)
- Intel Pentium CPU?; 120GB HDD (stole the 500GB drive); 2-4GB RAM?; DVD-ok; WiFi; WIN7
- Only 2 or 3 years old, but pretty abused, still fully functional, it would play GW2 on low settings :eek:; no screen, smashed out, DVD drive plate broken off, some cracking.
- Again it was used as a HTPC for a while

IDEAS/any value :confused:
- Any of them could be upgraded to 1-2GB of RAM I have laying around...

- I have plans to build a HTPC / simple backup/file sever so that use is out.

- Maybe parting out or selling whole for parts on ebay? But is it worth the time and hassle if the buyer gets it and complains?

- One idea I may do is a "Kitchen PC":
Vr.1) Simplest solution just use the 14" SONYs, just to pull up recipes while cooking and if something is spilled on it not a big loss, maybe pickup or make a bracket so I can mount it to the wall.
Vr.2) More involved mount the ASUS 15.6" hidden under the cupboard, use a wireless keyboard w/touchpad and tiny 16" LCD mounted to the wall or under the cupboard.
Something kind of like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5196069/build-an-under+the+cabinet-kitchen-pc-from-an-old-laptop
or http://www.instructables.com/id/Kitchen-PC-with-laptop-twist/

Couple of photos at the end here for your amusement.
Note the last picture with the bolts & nuts coming through the back for the new hinge on the "Frankenstein HP"

Attachments

• laptop_stack.jpg
    laptop_stack.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ASUS_15.6_laptop.jpg
    ASUS_15.6_laptop.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 57
  • HP_laptop1.jpg
    HP_laptop1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 59
  • HP_laptop1_frankenstein.jpg
    HP_laptop1_frankenstein.jpg