• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two years with asus 502 vs - any conclusions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rolllooo

Hello,
I have decided to post some difficulties which I was obserwing during my 2 years use of ASUS ROG 502VS Laptop (GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7 6700HQ 2,6 Ghz) in order to ask if there is any good explanations for some issues.
The first one is low 3d mark 11 performance score of my Asus - according to benchmark's mean this notebook schould reach approx 15600 points, but mine gets 14100-14300 (the graphics score is normal but physics scores is lower than the mean). In the meantime I checked also firestrike and timespy tests with 12100 and 5100 point respectively. What is surprising this last two is more close to the mean score of this laptops...Anyway, I repasted it with thermal grizzly kryonaut, implement the most efficient thermopads, made additional holes for ventilation, and covered holes between fans and radiators. This works not impacted the efficiency- the score is the same as earlier. Temperatures are lower and not exceed 80 oC both CPU i GPU during the benchmarks. Many users claimed that after repasting they gain a lot in benchmark because of lowering the temps (throtling)- I have no any improvement.

The most akward is problems in some games- for example, without full load of CPU (all cores checked respectively as single load value) and GPU, some games start to drop FPS from 60 to 40 in some locations (I check load via msi afterburner statistics). Interesting conclusions brings my test which is based on assumption that in places with FPS drops I checked effect of Intel turbo boost enabling (CPU on average reaches 3,2 GHz instead 2,6 Ghz of base frequency) - anyway, with or without turbo boost fps is the same with no full load of GPU (in contrast to logical reasoning).
I've changed AC/DC adapter from 180 to 240 W in order to check if it can be effect of low power however, without any gain in effciency. I have current BIOS (306 verion) and all drivers are updated.

Yesterday I tried to check RAM (it is single RAM bank) and windows checking tool give me information "there is some problem with your device, contact the computer's manufacturer" - however I have no single issue like blue screens, freezes or anything else (Is it possible that demaged RAM can make issue in particular places in games?);

I use G-sync technology connected with V-sync but during benchmarks I turn it off;
I use MSI afterburner undervolting curve in order to lower the temps- during tests I back to default;
I've checked many drivers configurations and options- like tubo boost on/off, msi afterburner curve on/off, G-sync on/off, V-sync on/off during games tests- without improvement;

Back