• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have an HP laptop that had a 900mhz Duron processor in it. The laptop belongs to a coworker. The Duron is a Socket A 1.4v chip. Which AMD chips can I replace it with? I have a 850 mhz on order from Ebay but was wondering if I culd get a Mobile Athlon for it?

Any Ideas??

What is the exact model? I would guess that the Duron in it is a cut-down Athlon4 (pre-AthlonXP mobile). Is it 100MHz FSB? More importantly, can you tell us what chipset it uses with CPUZ or similar?

I see no reason why a nice XP-M 2400 or 2600+ wouldn't work. I don't know the exact specs, but that chip probably runs at about 40W. Since both 35 and 45w versions of the 2400+ exist, I can't imagine an extra 5W would hurt it.

The determining factor will be whether or not the chipset will run 133FSB and if you have PC133/PC2100 RAM in there.

Last edited:
The laptop is a Compaq 700us model.

I know it takes PC133 RAM. Anymore than that is beyond me................

i thought that the durons and athalons where interchangeable like celerons and pIV's... I would think if you got an athalon that was rated for the same FSB that it would work... of course I have only built 3 simple amd systems in my lifetime and that was like 4 years ago so I might be wrong...

ozzlo said:
i thought that the durons and athalons where interchangeable like celerons and pIV's... I would think if you got an athalon that was rated for the same FSB that it would work... of course I have only built 3 simple amd systems in my lifetime and that was like 4 years ago so I might be wrong...

yeah i doubt an 133 chip would work with a 100 board. And just cause its pc133 means nothing. We have a an old Pentium system around here that runs 100mhz bus wiht 133 ram. if you can set clocks in you bios you can most definitly get away with it (I think) but that's unlikly.

Well I was worried that the chipset could be a Duron-only 100Mhz FSB, such as a KT133 (133 FSB was unstable on these, so they only ran 100Mhz, with ram at 133Mhz).

Known informally as 'TwisterK', the ProSavage KN133 is the world's first fully integrated SMA (shared memory architecture) chipset developed specifically for AMD's new mobile AMD Athlon™ 4 and AMD Duron™ processors.

The VIA ProSavage KN133 combines the feature rich 2D/3D graphics capabilities of the acclaimed S3® Savage4® graphics core with VIA's KT133A's advanced North Bridge features, such as 200/266MHz Front Side Bus and PC100/133MHz SDRAM support. Building on VIA's leadership position in socket A desktop SMA chipsets, the new VIA ProSavage KN133 brings important mobile attributes such as integrated DSTN support, integrated Dual Channel LVDS, full PowerNow 2.0 support and is configured for AMD's new lower voltage CPU's.

orion25, that laptop is based off a KT133A, so 133FSB is perfectly stable. It supports mobile functions so any XP-M should work, as they are 133FSB exclusively.

moz_21 said:
Well I was worried that the chipset could be a Duron-only 100Mhz FSB, such as a KT133 (133 FSB was unstable on these, so they only ran 100Mhz, with ram at 133Mhz).

orion25, that laptop is based off a KT133A, so 133FSB is perfectly stable. It supports mobile functions so any XP-M should work, as they are 133FSB exclusively.

actually a xp-M 2600 wouldn't rpeform to poorly now would it.

Thanks for all the help. If the 850 Duron works I will try an XP-M. I am not positive that the processor is the only problem.

Back