• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 -- I'm tired of DFI now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I forgot to mention... the only way I got the board to boot up with the TT 420W PSU after the whole issue with the OCZ 600W was putting the jumper to boot in safe-boot mode. Then, I optimized defaults and rebooted. I then put jumper back to NORMAL boot, and booted up. I applied all of my settings in bios and rebooted... now it works fine.

The OCZ 600W still cranks for a split second, even with safe-boot jumper. :( :(

I went home for lunch hour and played CS: Condition-Zero for 1/2 hour straight... zero problems with the Thermaltake 420W psu right now. OCZ still doesn't work on it.

I had a DMM hooked up to my +12v the whole time I played games and it would fluctuate 12.01v to 12.11v... that's fine to me.

g0dM@n said:
I went home for lunch hour and played CS: Condition-Zero for 1/2 hour straight... zero problems with the Thermaltake 420W psu right now. OCZ still doesn't work on it.

I had a DMM hooked up to my +12v the whole time I played games and it would fluctuate 12.01v to 12.11v... that's fine to me.

Maybe we should have a moment of silence for godM@ns PSU......... :eh?:

ok

Good to hear that your back up and running. Hopefully the PSU crapped out and it wasnt due to the board. Truely is sad that you had to lose such an expensive PSU though, im thinking of getting a PC&C soon, and DAMN, that is one expensive mother!

maelstromracing said:
Buy one of those PSU Testers from Fry's that has the LED for each Volt (12, 5, 3.3, both +/-) They run $15. You might have one of the rails dying out under load. I would bet money it's the PSU going out... Blown Cap in it....
I'm thinking about this one. That may be the only 24-pin ATX tester... not sure, tho. I just did a "power supply tester" search at newegg.

I could be wrong, but I thought that those testers test solely for in spec rail voltages. If this is the case, and you have already verified that the rails are within spec, what good will this do?

Also, have you tested the OCZ on another pc? When was this OZC unit obtained? Again, I believe there were some serious issues with the initial batches.

The PCP&C is an expensive unit, but the primary reason that I went with it rather than a Fortron, Seasonic, or OCZ is that I believe that the probability of having issues such as Godman's arise is less than that of the latter units. I have had zero problems. And if I have a problem, PCP&C will take care of it ASAP. I have heard of replacement units arriving next day.

Didnt read many of the posts - too lazy and theres a lot of them :p but did u turn the PSU off, take the power cord out and hit the power button on the case several times to discharge the capacitors? If you done that, yep.....your board is deffinately up the ****er, my DFI has just done the very same thing almost for no reason :(

ket said:
Didnt read many of the posts - too lazy and theres a lot of them :p but did u turn the PSU off, take the power cord out and hit the power button on the case several times to discharge the capacitors? If you done that, yep.....your board is deffinately up the ****er, my DFI has just done the very same thing almost for no reason :(

Lol. Thats a good tip, but he found out that it was his PSU that was out. :)

Ahh ok :D at least its better than a dead board :( wonder if i should grab a new bios chip before i rma as my chipset is seemingly very good doing 320HTT with no signs of wanting to stop.

"Sounds like the board is wreaking havoc on your PSUs. I'd ditch that turd in a heartbeat. If automobiles were built with the same reliability as DFI motherboards, we'd all be dead."

Yea but we would all die doin 120-145 mph :)

I just tried the OCZ again and it's still doing the same thing... stupid PSU!!! (No, I didn't try it on a different rig b/c my Soltek board is shot, and my intel rig is what I'm on now. I don't feel like turning it off... maybe tomorrow night).

Godman, we talked on aim about our issues and yes my PCP&C is dead. It was going downhill about 2 weeks after I got it and now a little over a month later its finally dead. PCP&C didn't even ask for my credit card. They just said they are sending out a PSU to me asap and when I get it I send the PSU back in the box I got my new one in. Just reminds me of why I buy PCP&C. Also, I asked them if there was any way I could find out what went wrong with my PSU out of curiosity and they said the second they find out, I'm getting a phone call or an e-mail or both.

Meathead said:
Godman, we talked on aim about our issues and yes my PCP&C is dead. It was going downhill about 2 weeks after I got it and now a little over a month later its finally dead. PCP&C didn't even ask for my credit card. They just said they are sending out a PSU to me asap and when I get it I send the PSU back in the box I got my new one in. Just reminds me of why I buy PCP&C. Also, I asked them if there was any way I could find out what went wrong with my PSU out of curiosity and they said the second they find out, I'm getting a phone call or an e-mail or both.

Wow, thats the best customer service I have ever heard of. Maybe my next buy will be a PSU, this Aspire very efficient.

ShadowClock59 said:
Wow, thats the best customer service I have ever heard of. Maybe my next buy will be a PSU
Yeah... tell me about it. I asked OCZ for cross-ship and they COMPLETELY IGNORED my request. The guy responded with an RMA# and nothing more. I sent it to them a week ago, they received it on like Thursday, and I still haven't gotten an email that they received it or anything. They wouldn't offer a pre-paid label either. It's not so bad b/c I'm sure they'll repair or replace, but damn that's awesome service for meathead.

Yea I'm so relieved its my PSU because I can count on my PSU's customer service and not rely on DFI's :cool: . I'm really curious as to see what went wrong.

It's probably DFI killing these PSUs... who knows.

Well, I must have talked to a retard, as usual. I asked a few questions in my email and none was answered... I was just given an RMA. I was rather disappointed in him not answering a single question.

maybe he got a deadbeat that works over at ocz.. anyways, godman, you had the 4v jumper on? that would be my guess. i have heard about that thing not only killing PSUs, but also ram. it also melted something on the motherboard. i donno why DFI included it but it was a bad idea

Back