• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 -- I'm tired of DFI now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Meathead said:
Yea that is true but it says it in the manual AFTER you buy the darn board. Also , do sportscars have a magical switch that gives you 100 more horsepower and then once you buy the car, the manual says that flippin that switch could kill your car?

Also, anyone have a link to that guide for the jp19 mod on DFI street. I can't find it and I'm debating on doing it.

I'm stupid. It's called the J17 mod, bro... I just dug it up for you... did search functions and realized it was J17, and not J19 (sorry... just haven't used that phrase in a while).

Here it is brotha:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61632

Btw, I like your analogy with the car, lol.

Hey thanks. I'll go ahead and do the mod and I'll let you know how it goes and let ya know anything you might need to know or vise versa if you do this before I get my PSU. Reading that link, I just realized what I did wrong. I had the extra jumper on the bottom not the top :bang head

deception`` said:
I will say this, and nothing more out of fear of me taking over g0dM@n's thread:

When it comes to any product/service/etc, do you think that people are MORE inclined to be opinionated/vocal about something they are happy with or something that they loathe or detest? Here is the problem with your assertion:

I agree that there have been, in the past couple of years, plenty of people who have had bad experiences with DFI motherboards (NF2 Ultra B/Infinity, 250gb, nF4 lineup). However, this is also because an overwhelming majority of enthusiasts have adopted these boards. Whether you choose to believe it or not, DFI's nF4 lineup is probably the most popular motherboard choice for the Athlon 64 enthusiast. Couple that widespread adoption with the fact that EVERYONE buys these boards to push their systems to the limit, and naturally you will here of more complaints and issues than you will from another platform where one person might o/c like hell but the next man may build and run stock.

Additionally, DFI boards traditionally offer much more control to the end user...in terms of voltages, timings, etc. Understand there's a tradeoff: more freedom to tweak and adjust...more room for disaster. Period. It's the whole risk-return concept, which is not only a pillar of Finance but business itself. Not to fear, though: It has been said many times in the past that these boards are not for the amateur, impatient, or even the casual enthusiast. Hell, I am perhaps one of the most (or to some, the most) adamant individual of DFI motherboards on these forums, but I have never once (a) recommended these boards to a beginner or (b) recommended these boards w/o mention that they are extremely picky and they will test your patience. So forgive my lack of sympathy for the cries of so many, but DFI boards have always been great for overclocks and prone to little issues here and there.

DFI really broke out onto the enthusiast scene with their Nforce 2 lineup, and even that platform was notorious for a few quirks. Nonetheless, more and more people buy their boards with each new generation. If DFI was such a terrible company, why would so many continue to buy?

deception``

D@mn it.......since I am not completely stubborn and unwilling, I am giving the DFI another shot. I only hope you prove me wrong and this board rocks (LP nF4 SLI-DR), I want the best.

situman said:
whats wrong with ur epox?

Nothing at all. I'm just getting a fantastic deal from my good friend MrIcee, brand new nF4 SLI-DR and two unopened Asus TOP 6600GTs. He just got a job at Anandtech and is dumping some of his gear to make room for all the hardware he'll be getting for reviews.

Guys, I tell you what. This 4V jumper is a luck of the draw. When enabled on my first board, it killed a DIMM Slot. On my current board, I have zero problems. The only difference betwixt the boards was a Rev A00 (current!) and a Rev A02 (wacky one).
Maybe I just got unlucky the first time.

Super Nade said:
Guys, I tell you what. This 4V jumper is a luck of the draw. When enabled on my first board, it killed a DIMM Slot. On my current board, I have zero problems. The only difference betwixt the boards was a Rev A00 (current!) and a Rev A02 (wacky one).
That's wierd, my flaky ones were A00 and are the ones DFI said to send back for replacement if you weren't happy with it. The A02 is the one that is supposed to be good. Aren't there some new rev's like B01 or something like that?

Super Nade said:
How can you check the revision?

g0dM@n said:

I'd like to know too but there is no way in hell I can send my board back right now. Not unless they would be willing to cross ship. I got some LAN tournaments that I'll play on a broken computer comming up.

You're not a real Lanner unless you have a backup PC!!! :)

I have 3 backup PCs, and a laptop. Of course, two of the backups are always for sale to friends locally, but I still have two main rigs (the first 2 in my sig).

You should build yourself another PC outa spare parts, and buy some cheapo stuff if you don't have enough.

g0dM@n said:

I have 3 backup PCs, and a laptop. Of course, two of the backups are always for sale to friends locally, but I still have two main rigs (the first 2 in my sig).

You should build yourself another PC outa spare parts, and buy some cheapo stuff if you don't have enough.

:p You sound like me, just a couple thousand miles away. I have 3 PC's right now, this one (sig), a Claw 3200 that Ive attempted to sell to a few friends multiple times, which has been sold 2 my older brother for the past 4 months! He just hasnt picked it up. I also have a my friends computer over here so he can get online.

It wouldnt feel right with just 1 pc as of now. :shrug:

g0dM@n said:

What do you think I'm typing to you on while my PSU is dead !?! :p My DFI rig just so happens to be the best computer I own but this barton at 2.4 ghz will hold up alright until then.

g0dM@n said:

There is a small marking on the barcode sticker attached to the PCI-E slot or the DIMM slot. DFI say that the only change between revisions is the default shipping BIOS. If one takes the view that there is a discrepancy betwee revisions,, Rev A00 should be < Rev A0x (x != 0) :)

Rev A00 is the older revision i.e first revision. It works great for me!

I may also have the first one too. I'll check tomorrow night when I get back home. I just arrived at my gf's over the bridge (20min ride)... gonna sleep here tonight. :)

Okay, double checked over at DFI street and the word is:

Rev in order R.A00, R.A01, R.A02, R.A03, R.AA0

The only difference being the BIOS with which the board was loaded with. However, I did find a post from RGone saying that the R.A00 had issue but the only difference is with the BIOS and if needed, all you have to do is update the BIOS. Another post by him says sorta the same, but that if you were unhappy with your R.A00 board, DFI would replace it with a newer revision.
Now if the BIOS is the only difference and a BIOS update was all that was needed, why would they honor the RMA?
Anyway, the last word is there is no difference at all in the boards.

Back