• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CedarMill and Presler preview on Anandtech!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is supposed to be a quad-core Conroe out late 2006, but that is for servers.

I think that in 2007 we will see quad-core Conroes for mainstream PCs. Then the fun will begin :)

Really these quad-cores will be dual cores since the Conroe is not a true dual core. There is only ONE cache that both cores share and both the cores are on one die.

So really Intel are being cheap. They should have started with quad-core Conroes anway. Then it would have been a hell of a chip. Too bad we will have to wait until 2007 for that...

Conroes = 4mb L2 cache, not sure if that would seperate it from the pressler.

Pressler too has a 4MB Cache (2MB x 2). Conroe has only a single cache with both the cores share (fight for?).

Leica said:
There is supposed to be a quad-core Conroe out late 2006, but that is for servers.

I think that in 2007 we will see quad-core Conroes for mainstream PCs. Then the fun will begin :)

Really these quad-cores will be dual cores since the Conroe is not a true dual core. There is only ONE cache that both cores share and both the cores are on one die.

So really Intel are being cheap. They should have started with quad-core Conroes anway. Then it would have been a hell of a chip. Too bad we will have to wait until 2007 for that...

Thge Pressler is using 2x2MB from what I understand, and the Conroes are supposed to use separate L2's. Anantech was talking about a "Extreme Edition(?)" with a question mark, like they were guessing at what they'd call it. The Extreme Editions up to this date have doubled the cache found on the standard runs.

Man, sure hope so. 4MB will be awesome, but 8MB?!? That's gonna be incredible.

Leica said:

How is Conroe not a true dual core? :confused:

A shared cache is better than separate caches for each core. And the two cores don't fight for it, it aids tremendously.

Conroe is closer to a true dual core than X2's are. With Cache sharing the performance benefits are huge. First each core gets the amount of cache they need and there will be almost no latency(since both cores are attached to the same bank of L2 cache) when the two cores communicate. Its a much better system than the cross bar that AMD uses.

Think of it while gaming one core can use 3megs or more cache for the game and the second core gets the rest to deal with the backround services that windows has. There would be very little to no wasted cache.

why would you want a quad core for desktop use, i see it as pointless besides being "cool" lol.

soon we will see the term "many core" from intel, you know what that means?

i've seen a die shot of the merom core as it's in the fab now, and it looks yummy i tell ya!

3DFlyer said:
Conroe...the big bad mac daddy, supreme being of the computerized universe, the chip that q0wnz above all else, the showstoppa, the uBer l33t, the sup3erL33t uberCl0xx0rs, the destroya, and the one's who posess it will be OC'ing God's! hahaha

...let us now bow our heads and pray to the OC'ing God's. :santa:

i hope, but i never get my hopes up...even though i've seen the numbers :), i'm excited if they're correct.

AdvanS13 said:
i hope, but i never get my hopes up...even though i've seen the numbers :), i'm excited if they're correct.

Do you think Intel will even need to speed bin the cedar mill chips (destined for the P4's) since they seem to clock so high. Perhaps they'll want to use the better ones for Presler but it seems like they won't even need to speed rate the rest of them unless they decide to offer 4.0 or maybe even 4.2 chips.

the lineup as you can see is pretty much identical to prescott speeds. i've seen a slated slot for a 4ghz+ chip, they obviously have that potential easily from how we've all oc'd them...with the 65nm shrink even more so.

i've seen a lot of conflicting info at work, some top out at 3.8, then at 4-4.2...but, it is up in the air, due to merom...like i said before, it will steal the spotlight and put psc/cdm in the shadows. which from what i've read will most likely kill the chances of a 4+ghz release on cdm. again, we won't know till Q1-Q3 '06 to see what happens. till then i would just put the assumptions aside......then again, who would want one (4+ghz) if merom is a stellar performer.

AdvanS13 said:
why would you want a quad core for desktop use, i see it as pointless besides being "cool" lol.

soon we will see the term "many core" from intel, you know what that means?

i've seen a die shot of the merom core as it's in the fab now, and it looks yummy i tell ya!
People who encode won't see it being pointless.

why would you want a quad core for desktop use

Not everyone plays games.

People encode Video, render 3D, Photoshop, edit Video, composit video, scientific applications, CAD - the list is endless.

As an example, using TMPEnc I encode MPEG-2 video to burn my own DVDs. With my Pentium 4 3.2GHz a 60 min file used to take 6 hours to encode. With my Pentium D (running at 3.7GHz) it takes just 2.5 hours! With quad cores at 4GHz it would take just an hour!

Nearly all apps that are power hungry are multi threaded these days, EXCEPT games.

The more cores the better! Bring on a thousand cores I say! And who knows, by then lazy games programmers will finally get their a$$es to write multi-threaded games... for the benfit of those that choose a PC to play games.

UPDATE: I also convert and rip audio a lot from my CDs and Windows Media Player is multi-threaded too!

Well I have already made room for one of these bad boys! The 830 has been offloaded and there now sits a very empty spot for my new CedarMill!! Maybe a little premature, but I was tired of sitting half naked in my computer room do to all the heat from the 830 :)

Speaking of over-paid, lazy games programmers, the soon to be released XBox360 has TWO cores (each with THREE threads) for a total of SIX threads. YET the first generation games will all be single threaded! So one processor will be totally asleep and the other processor will be half awake, since only 1 of the 3 threads will be in use. What a joke!

see this:-

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27249

Leica said:
Speaking of over-paid, lazy games programmers, the soon to be released XBox360 has TWO cores (each with THREE threads) for a total of SIX threads. YET the first generation games will all be single threaded! So one processor will be totally asleep and the other processor will be half awake, since only 1 of the 3 threads will be in use. What a joke!

see this:-

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27249

Don't you mean 3 cores with 2 threads per core?

Don't you mean 3 cores with 2 threads per core?

Indeed you are correct. So that means that 2 of the 3 cores are idle! Good if you are worried about "power per watt" :) I am sure the Green Party will be happy with such apps.

very interesting!

i hope these chips works in a 955 series mobo, because im buying a p5wd2 to replace the crappy intel boards in their retail bundle program.

First reviews start to appearing showing that the 9xx series aren't fast than the 8xx series clock per clock, except in one or other test but the diferences are minimal.

We can expect more room to overclock. Period.

You can see this here:
Tom's Hardware review on 930D

Back