• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron M 370 Dothan on Socket 478?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hyperasus said:
I found this while browsing newegg.

Intel Celeron M 370 Dothan 400MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478

Is that a typo or is it really socket 478? Would it work with an asus barebone system like this ?
no, you have to have the CT-479 adapter and a compatible motherboard
hainer36 said:
any mobile chip is S479......they may say 478 but thats a typo.......ive made that mistake too
that's partly Intels fault, Intel calls it socket 479 to avoid mixups but the chips have 478 pins so that confuses the distributors and they just list it as socket 478, I think some of them have 479 pins but not all.

Last edited:
they have 478 pins; they just call them 479 to avoid ppl sticking mobile cpus in regular sockets since the pinout is different.

like Taz said, need an adapter and a compatible asus board. for a cheap rig p4p800se is a good choice.

Ok thats what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Last edited:
so hyperasus, how's your pentium d holding up?

actually, that celeron would be pretty sweet for the money. pretty sure it can do at least 2GHz.

LOL funny you should ask mcoleg. Dam thing died on me for no reason last night. I've been using it without any problems for quite awhile now. Then for no reason it just died on me. I was sitting there watching TV and all the sudden it just went blank :bang head :bang head :bang head . Thought it was a random reboot at first but then it never came back. I can power it on, everything looks and sounds fine but the screens are just blank. Funny thing is that its cooled off where I live so temps were lower then they have ever been. I have really pushed this board hard playing with all my Pentium Ds. But I haven’t touched any of my settings on it for a month because its been running perfect. I spent half of today trading parts around to figure out it’s the motherboard that died. I love this flippen computer when its working, but I am really getting tired of these power sapping blood sucking vampire chip dual cores. I’m just hoping presler shows up on time. I’ll have one of those preslers coming overnight the second newegg gets them in stock. I have another P5WD2 on the way so I should be back up and running early next week. Meanwhile I want to build me small and cool running backup so I don’t have to move in on my brothers computer when this crap happens.

I have it narrowed down to this case and this CPU

or

this case and this CPU

I would really like a small Pentium M but the only one that looks any good to me is this and it cost more for the case then those others do for the complete setup.

I've been focusing so much on the top end PC's lately. Now I am lost trying to find a budget system. Cool, quiet, and small is what I am looking for. I have my dual core for all the heavy lifting. All this budget system will be used for is surfing and chatting backup rig, and maybe a small ftp server so I can access some of my files online.

oh bummer... sorry to hear that man.

well, pm system is not that much, really. p4p88se - $90, CT-479 - $50, 1.6GHz pm - $120. whatever cheap case, vid. card and psu you got around and it's a system. nice and quiet too. i like that shuttle though, looks nice.
what about a second hand athlon xp system? they are cheap now.

The P4P with PM sounds good but I need something small. Whats the smallest case I could get that P4P in.

The P4P800-VM supports the CT-479, that's a mATX board so you could put it in any number of compact cases; Antec Aria, Aspire X-QPack, Silverstone SG01B...

Reviews of the last 2 on AT, for some reason I can't make a link work...

Ok you guys really got me going now. :p

This case here would go perfect with my setup. link

If get a P4P800-VM and that case then it really doesn't cost much more then what I was going to spend. Now I am trying to decide if I should just grab a Celeron M 370 for $112; or spend the extra $100 and upgrade to a Pentium M 1.7ghz.

Hey thanks. Those are some good deals going. I'm going to see if I can get one of those CPUs off him.

Back