• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not too bad for 3.0E s478....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mzs_biteme

Well, I got a free P4 3.0E, and to be honest I didn't expect much from it with my current mobo/heatsink combo. I definitely didn't expect it to even get close to my NW overclock. Well, I was plesently surprised today:

P43E_test.jpg

Idle temps are somewhere around 50C and load is 64~66C... That's with a 2yr old Zalman heatsink mind you... :eek: I feel this CPU has at least 50~70MHz more in it, but I won't push it until I get a better heat-sink (Fry's here I come... :sn: ). With current timings, my RAM tops out at 213MHz, which would be 266MHz FSB which should be somewhere around 3991MHz for the CPU... :eek: , but I don't expect it to go this high...
Is it stable? Well it's 3Dmark05, and 01 stable. It's 3hr Quake 4, Doom 3, HL2 stable. To me, as a gamer, it's plenty stable right now.
Anyways, I though I'd share this for those of you wondering if your socket 478 mobo still has some life in it? Mine did... :clap:

Mike

Prescott's were supposed to take Intel to 4GHz and beyond, so the overclockability of these CPU's are high. I'm not surprised that you were able to get the 3.0E that high. It does place a higher stress on the motherboard power regulation components though, especially for S478 systems.

Know Nuttin said:
..... It does place a higher stress on the motherboard power regulation components though, especially for S478 systems.

That's what I was skeptical about, but it looks like Abit did a good job (again) with the IS7 I got... With the Zalman at full speed on top of the CPU, there is plenty of air blowing down on power regulators around the socket.
How is that Thermaltake Big Typhoon working out for you though? I think they have them at Fry's...

Mike S.

Very good. It doesn't have alot of airflow so it does nothing for cooling motherboard components unfortunately. That's the penalty for using a low cfm/noise/pressure fan.

It easily wipes the floor compared to the Zalman 7000Al-Cu that I was using before. Temps are almost 20c lower on load, all other things being equal. Zalman was on full.

Cool... :clap: (pun intendet)
I'll get it tonight on the way home and see what temps I can get the CPU down to...
Damn Fry's is too close to me... I'm spending way too much money there...
Caa-a-a-a-nt-t-t-t-t st-t-t-t-o-p-p-p..... :bang head :cool:

if you sink up your mosfets, you could see 4ghz ;) keep the vcore under 1.45-1.5 on 478 boards, unless you are heavily sinked.

fAlCoNNiAn said:
do you feel a performance hit when pat is turned off? how much did this increase your oc?

Don't you need to be runing 1:1 ration to have PAT enabled?
If so, I never had it (always running 5:4) and I guess I don't really care for it... :)

P43E_test2.jpg

Oh yeah, I went to Fry's and got a new heatsink - CoolerMaster Hyper 48.
Now running 43~45 idle and never above 60C under load. And that's with the latest tweak (258MHZ FSB). Will go for more later on tonight.. Goal > 266MHz FSB... :eek:

Well, I guess this is my wall....

P43E_test5.jpg

MOSFET's are really biting the dust here. Check out the VCore dip while running 3dM05... :eek: Maybe it's my PS, maybe its the mobo, either way I dont wanna spend any more money on it or devote any more of my time (droop mods, etc) to this setup. I'm waiting for the good stuff next year, and this is more then enough to get me there... :)
This IS7 has served me well I have to say. Go Abit... :clap:

Mike

Man I love those 3.0e procs. Grabbed mine a little while ago and went straight to 3900mhz dual prime stable. Have my bios set to 1.425 which provides 1.3volts under full load.

Those chips are fast and cheap, I am glad to see you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. I have run mine at 4200mhz before... these things are just crazy.

Back