• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new DVD+-R/CDRW drive... No Tray!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey all... I have managed to break the mechanism that drives my tray in and out of the drive :(. I have an antec p180 case with the door, and for some stupid reason, each burning software that I have been using spits the CD out as soon as it's done burning. This inevitably smacks the closed door, and over time has damaged the motor behind the tray.

I know I should have disabled that option, but little did I think that it would actually damage the motor of the drive. In any case, I am looking for a drive similar to ones found on most Apple computers... somewhat like the one on the Mini's. I have no idea what they are called... they have no tray, they just suck the CD in. My powerbook has one, and mind you it is about 3 years old, and it's still kicking.

I searched all over Newegg and the like, but I couldn't find anything that matched my description. Can you guys reccomend anything?

What you're looking for is a slot-load drive, which use a slot to load the disc instead of the tray. The only one that I found on Newegg that would be applicable to you is this Plextor drive. A tad pricey, but no doubt high quality.

Nice, I like that. Comes out to about 100 after the MIR... not too shabby. Can't say I've heard of that brand name, but it appears that reviers are happy with it.

As far as my current drive is concerned, has anyone had experience with taking these apart and maybe fixing the problem? It seems as though one of the springs is acting up... I don't think the damage is too severe as it still opens sometimes. I bought it from staples less than a year ago, but I have no receipt. Any chances for a return/exchange?

on subject, i heard slot load tends to have a lot of problems, ie cd stuck inside and wont eject. anyone confirm this?

Warren G said:
on subject, i heard slot load tends to have a lot of problems, ie cd stuck inside and wont eject. anyone confirm this?

alot of it depends on the cd, even some car cd players have this issue with homemade music cd's.

they get stuck, i'm not sure if it has to do with the disc thickness.

dreIU said:
Nice, I like that. Comes out to about 100 after the MIR... not too shabby. Can't say I've heard of that brand name, but it appears that reviers are happy with it.

As far as my current drive is concerned, has anyone had experience with taking these apart and maybe fixing the problem? It seems as though one of the springs is acting up... I don't think the damage is too severe as it still opens sometimes. I bought it from staples less than a year ago, but I have no receipt. Any chances for a return/exchange?

never heard of plextor? wow

they were at one point in time the best of the best of cd burners and dvd drives. im sure they are still high quality, but you can find comparable awesomeness for a cheaper price these days

Back