• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant problems with DVD Drives.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wade7575

Registered
I have been burning stuff to DVD for years such as wedding movies for photographers and DVD slide shows as well and back in the day I used to use LG drives and I could never kill them,I could put about 8000 to 10,000 DVD's threw an LG drive and never kill it.

But now I may get 400 to 800 DVD's threw an LG drive and it's dead and I have tried a few different model's,I mainly just buy the rebranded LG drives that ASUS sell's,I can tell they are LG drives by looking at the top of them and then comparing them to drives found on LG website.

Has anyone tried Liteon DVD Drives,all I know is that I have gone threw 3 DVD's in 2 years and that when I burn stuff the movies start and stop all the time,and if I make a master disc and then do a copy with a burning program and tell the program to burn me 50 copy's half may play fine and then other half will have a problem part way threw the disc.

The DVD Drives also spin up normally they just produce a lot of screw up's,and when I change the DVD Drive the problem goes away for 400 to 800 disc's and then it's the same old crap again.

I have an old LG USB external drive I use on the rare occasion I need to. It sits in my garage and gets banged around pretty regularly and still works fine.

If you're having issues with LG then I would try either Plextor or Lite-On. Unfortunately, historically, LG has typically made about the best DVD and Blu-Ray reader/writers that I'm aware of.

For sure I'd try another brand. I've never burned at your volume/put that many discs through, but both Plextor and Lite-On have been fine in my not-so-related experiences.

That said, I feel like the price of these make them almost disposable these days. I paid ~$20 for a Lite-On DVD burner several years ago...

Back in the day Lite-on was cheap and effective. But Plextor was *the* brand. Expensive but worked. YMMV.

It sounds like you have been experiencing issues with the reliability of DVD drives, specifically with LG and ASUS rebranded drives. You mention that you have also tried Liteon drives, but have had similar issues with them. It is possible that the problem could be related to the burning process or the software being used, rather than the drives themselves. It's hard to say for sure what the problem is without more information about the specific drives, software and burning process you are using. However, it is possible that the drives are not as durable as they used to be, or that there is an issue with the manufacturing process that is causing them to fail more frequently. :/

It sounds like you have been experiencing issues with the reliability of DVD drives, specifically with LG and ASUS rebranded drives. You mention that you have also tried Liteon drives, but have had similar issues with them. It is possible that the problem could be related to the burning process or the software being used, rather than the drives themselves. It's hard to say for sure what the problem is without more information about the specific drives, software and burning process you are using. However, it is possible that the drives are not as durable as they used to be, or that there is an issue with the manufacturing process that is causing them to fail more frequently. :/
I haven't tried Liteon yet and I was just wondering what they were like.
Post magically merged:

I think I will try a Litoen brand drive guys seeing that I have tried 3 different rebrand LG ASUS drives and they all crapped out so fast.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the market has shifted from internal to external drives, you might find something of better quality/longevity in that arena.

Back in the day Lite-on was cheap and effective. But Plextor was *the* brand. Expensive but worked. YMMV.
Back in the day I thought about buying Plextor because people swore by them but when I went shopping for some I noticed that the Plextor drives were the same as the LG drives when you looked at the case,now when you look at a Plextor the top is the same as a Liteon drive.

I purchased a Liteon dvd drive and so far so good hopefully it turns out to be a long lasting brand.

Optical drives were getting worse in time. Recently barely anyone is using them and I heard it's typical that they have problems with burning much faster now than we remember. Unless you find a more professional series then regardless of brand, it will be not much different. The last popular series that was working good with lower RMA rate was ASUS, but I guess they are using different components now. I assume devices for audio purposes are still higher quality.
You should look for a drive with a glass lense. Early series had that, and later it was replaced by a plastic one. However, I have no idea if you find anything like that right now.

Optical drives were getting worse in time. Recently barely anyone is using them and I heard it's typical that they have problems with burning much faster now than we remember. Unless you find a more professional series then regardless of brand, it will be not much different. The last popular series that was working good with lower RMA rate was ASUS, but I guess they are using different components now. I assume devices for audio purposes are still higher quality.
You should look for a drive with a glass lense. Early series had that, and later it was replaced by a plastic one. However, I have no idea if you find anything like that right now.
How can tell which model has a glass lens and a plastic lens,that's my problem.

it kinda sounds like they are going the way of the cassette.
now a days one or two cheap companies make the mechanisms for cassettes and they all suck.

now a days one or two cheap companies make the mechanisms for cassettes and they all suck.
And that's why, in my last enterprise drive six years ago, we got off tape back up amd went to disk to disk (among other reasons) and piped the backup offsite. I think we were on LTO5?

I seen on amazon that Liteon makes a Premium DVD burner and I'm going to try emailing Liteon and asking them if the Premium one has a glass lens and also asking if all their cheaper models that cost around 40 buck Canadian use plastic lens.

I wish I would have purchased a lot of 20 LG drives 2 years ago that were never used and brand new,the seller claimed that they wouldn't work with anything past Windows 7 and he was right on that as I had the model of DVD drive he was selling,but there was a small forum that I can't recall and a member made homebrew firmware that you could reflash the DVD with and it would work with Windows 10 and everyone said his firmware worked perfectly with no problems at all.

That model one of the ones that was so long lasting you would have been next to impossible to wear the thing out in a lifetime,I know I put about 10,000 disc's threw mine doing wedding movies and wedding photo slide shows and other stuff like that,I have a DVD duplicator at the time and replaced the crap drive it came with it with the good LG drive.

All I can say is I want to kick myself now for not getting the 20 LG drives for 100 bucks.

The last DVDRW with glass lenses that I remember was about 8 years ago. Back then, the best in local stores was ASUS. Brands like TEAC were top series maybe 10 years ago, but disappeared from stores quite fast. However, I was barely using any DVD drive for last 6-7 years and I wasn't checking what changes were made. I just don't think they improved anything as prices were only going down.

Either way, good luck. I'm sure someone still manufactures good burners.

I was just looking at my purchase history @ Newegg and my current DVD & BlueRay burners are ASUS and I bought them in 2013. The catch is that while they are powered on daily, I rarely actually use them. They are still rakin' as far as I know.

The last DVDRW with glass lenses that I remember was about 8 years ago. Back then, the best in local stores was ASUS. Brands like TEAC were top series maybe 10 years ago, but disappeared from stores quite fast. However, I was barely using any DVD drive for last 6-7 years and I wasn't checking what changes were made. I just don't think they improved anything as prices were only going down.

Either way, good luck. I'm sure someone still manufactures good burners.
When your talking about ASUS DVD drives or burners are you talking about the LG drives that are rebranded for ASUS or are you talking about the Liteon rebranded DVD drives.

I do know for a fact by looking at the outside of the DVD drives case you can tell whether it's a rebranded LG or Liteon by going on LG's site and Liteon's site because they both make the top's differently.
I have never used Liteon in my pc's until this last one I purchased.

Back