• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit newbie help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phubar

Hi guys, new here and have never tried overclocking.

Here is my stuff

I have an Abit VH6 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
P III 800 mhz

I have gone into the BIOS in Softmenu II setup and changed the

CPU Operating Speed from 800 (133) to 933(133) that is the only option it will allow me to change in there, I can't change the multipier.

Also what should I set the CPU power supply at? it is currently defaulted at 1.70

So then when I save and exit BIOS it boots and before Win 98 starts i get a message saying that the CPU is unworkable or has changed...

I hit F1 to continue, Win 98 starts and I go to WCPUID and get a real time check of the clock and it says 801.81 MHz. I have read that these MOBO's can go to about 960 average, any ideas on how I could get it up there?

Oh yeah I have 256 megs of RAM if that matters

hey welcome to the forums!

might want to try a BIOS update, it may add the option to select other FSB frequencies besides 100 and 133. That way you can increase slowly instead of all at once:) When the "unworkable" message comes up it sets the chip back to default. Might want to try to bump up the core voltage of the CPU a little bit, see of that helps.

I used to skate with guys who rode for fuct in NYC...ah the good old days..:D

Ok, how much do you suggest putting core voltage at? It is at 170 now. Also where do I get BIOS updates?

The Abit homepage will have all the BIOS stuff you need. Instructions too. For voltage, keep it under 1.9 or so just to be safe, unless you are sure that you got good cooling. If so staying under 2.1 is usually agreed as a good idea.

I'd bump to 1.8 myself.

The problem is that you're trying to use a 933 processor setting which uses a multiplier of 7X and 133 FSB when your actual processor is really a 800 that uses a multiplier of 6X and 133 FSB. Intel multipliers are locked so no way will that work. You need to play around in the SoftMenu II BIOS and find the "user define" settings. You cannot use a "regular" CPU setting because you'll need to increase the FSB to a non-spec speed (for example 140 MHz FSB). Don't change the voltage unless you are unstable at an overclocked speed. I always recommend better cooling before doing anything more than minor overclocking and definitely have better cooling before cranking up the voltage (which creates more heat).

Ok, in the Soft Menu II BIOS is where I was changing things and the only way I can change it is by selecting the chioces that are there. What choice do you recommend?

Never mind, I got it. running at 840 to see if it is stable then I may move up
Thanks Guys!!! :D :D :D

Right on!

I totally forgot about what batboy mentioned- you can't just use the preset frequency combos in the Softmenu, you have to build you own custom settings. Been too long since I used my BE6-II!:D

Thanks, also what should my Temp be, it's at 88 F rightnow

dude that's a great temp. When my machine is under a heavy workload and the CPU is going full tilt, I am happy if my temps are under 110F or so. 140F is probably pushing it too far.

Ok, so that is a good temp. Cool, I was gonna buy a new fan.

It is, I am running 901 on an 800, so far so good. I opened WORD, EXCEL, Outlook, and IE plus have Zone Alarm. AVG and Rain running and no crash. I wouldn't have anything more than that opened at once. But my temp is 95 degrees F, is that still ok or should I get another fan? Do the programs like Rain even work?

rain is pretty pointless. it fills up the empty cycles of your CPU with :wait" commands basically, so it runs cooler when it is idle. But you need to be concerned with the temperature it gets to when it is under load.

A good way to test it to be sure it is stable and at a good temperature while under full load is by download a program like Sisoft Sandra, and running it's burn-in wizard overnight. Or, join one of the distributed computing projects from one of the other formus here, and complete a few work units. You will stress test you CPU, and also be able to monitor your temps at a full work load.

Are you using the heatsink it came with?

Back