• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest AGP 8X card? My 6800 Ultra died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
grr...this is aggravating, I don't want to spend 300 dollars, but I want to be able to play games...

btw, where can I even buy that gainward card? I can't find it anywhere.

soundfx4 said:
grr...this is aggravating, I don't want to spend 300 dollars, but I want to be able to play games...

btw, where can I even buy that gainward card? I can't find it anywhere.

Then get the radeon x800xl
179$ in new egg and it wil play all current games without a problem
It has same 16 pipes as 7800gs.

jeffk said:
Then get the radeon x800xl
179$ in new egg and it wil play all current games without a problem
It has same 16 pipes as 7800gs.

well what about the x850 Pro instead? There is one for sell in the classifieds here for 200, is that better then a 6800 ultra, and is it better then the x800 xl?

X850 Pro isn't quite as good as the 6800Ultra, and its slightly better (due to clocks) then the X800XL.

If you don't mind refurbished This X800XT AIW is a pretty good deal, and I'm pretty sure the X800XTs were able to keep up with the Ultras.

Depends..
If your playing new demanding games like oblivion and fear then youl need a 7800gs
If you play games abit older like farcry or half-life 2. An x800 card will do the job
perfecly for 200$

i just installed the limited editon 7800gs from gainward , what can i say but wow! it totally eats my old xfx extreme edition 7800gs which i thinks down to the fact its running 20 pipelines and a gt chipset. i love the way the manual says 'you have a golden sample so overclock it' im gonna run it for a week or two to bed it in then let it loose!

btw this is the fastest agp card as i just found out in another thread
http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=48

1500 units thats it! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800AGP_Series.html
same company over here in uk has got a good handful of them agian i bet. price is steep at £360 or $630 for most of you guys.

Last edited:
Samurai Blade said:
i just installed the limited editon 7800gs from gainward , what can i say but wow! it totally eats my old xfx extreme edition 7800gs which i thinks down to the fact its running 20 pipelines and a gt chipset. i love the way the manual says 'you have a golden sample so overclock it' im gonna run it for a week or two to bed it in then let it loose!

btw this is the fastest agp card as i just found out in another thread
http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=48

1500 units thats it! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800AGP_Series.html
same company over here in uk has got a good handful of them agian i bet. price is steep at £360 or $630 for most of you guys.

I just found out that gainward doesn't sell that in the US, so I can't get it anyway. Besides, it is a rip off at 630 dollars, seeing as you can get the PCI-E 7800 GTX for $450 (I know, PCI-E, but I'm just saying it's a faster card)

Bah, but anyway, I ordered the EVGA 7800 GS overclocked for 309 + 26 dollars for overnight shipping since I need it ASAP. It was still much cheaper then what evga had it for on their site. They are selling the GS for $380! So I said screw them, I'll get it from newegg WITH overnight shipping for less :p
It also has a lifetime warranty, so even if it's 10 years from now and I'm using it in a cluster I can still get it replaced. On top of that I may be able to do the step up thing since my 6800 ultra was an EVGA card. I don't know if they do that though for busted cards... :shrug:

Doesn't Evga have a lifetime warranty on their 6800 series also if you register? My 6800 ultra was glitchy so they gave me this 7800GS.

Maviryk said:
Doesn't Evga have a lifetime warranty on their 6800 series also if you register? My 6800 ultra was glitchy so they gave me this 7800GS.

hmm...I did register, but I thought my warranty was only for 1 year. I got the 6800 ultra as soon as it was released, when did you get yours?

Grr...I'll have to check EVGA's website to see if I have warranty left, I sure hope I do, even though I just bought a 7800 GS I wouldn't mind having another one. :p

Last edited:
well it doesn't look good. My box says plain as day, 1 year limited warranty...there is no way evga will RMA my card :mad:

that angers me so much! How is it fair that the first batch of 6800 ultras they sell only have a 1 year warranty, yet later 6800 ultras have 3 year warranties, and lifetime warranties? Well, at least they are offering lifetime warranties now... :-/

Because they worked all the bugs out in the newer versions :)

Easier to warrant a more stable card. Heh.

LiveSideways said:
Because they worked all the bugs out in the newer versions :)

Easier to warrant a more stable card. Heh.

haha, yeah probably. :p

btw, I wasn't trying to be an *** earlier, your suggestion to get a PCI-E board and x850 card was a wiser choice, but it just wasn't the choice I wanted to make for a few reasons. One reason being there would be a good chance I'd have to re-install windows, and I don't feel like doing that. And the other reason is because I don't typically like to order half a computer if I can help it. I try to order all parts for a new computer when I'm ready to upgrade, that way I can set my old one up as a server or extra folding rig.

Hehe, warranties on video cards... kinda like cars and first year models.. NEVER buy the first year model of a car BTW....

This week I've swapped out a motherboard and processor w/o having to reinstall windows.. good thing too because I've used up the maximum amount of times I could activate windows...

I hope that doesn't mean I have to buy a new key.... ugh...

Here's to not opening up my case again for a long, long time.

Maviryk said:
Hehe, warranties on video cards... kinda like cars and first year models.. NEVER buy the first year model of a car BTW....

This week I've swapped out a motherboard and processor w/o having to reinstall windows.. good thing too because I've used up the maximum amount of times I could activate windows...

lol, activating sucks. I got tired of activating so I started using a corporate version in place of my regular version. My regular version is not being used, so it' all good.

also something worth noting. I don't know about dell OEM windows disc, but when I worked at the library all the OEM windows disc for the gateway computers didn't require activation or a key when you installed them. But I don't know if it would be like that if you ordered an OEM windows by yourself.

Maviryk said:

No worries about buying another key, you just have to call them and explain that you are reformatting and that it isn't installed on any other machines.

I have three legal licenses and all 3 have been activated at least 10 times (on the same three machines of course).

Of course you could always backup your wpa.dll but I don't know your guys' rule on piracy and what not so I won't go into that.

How big is the difference if you buy a well knowned labeled card like ASUS for a less knowened card?
Is there big differences in performance and quality for approximately the same priceclass?

Lots of the lesser quality makers tend to lower clocks and use older ram... There's even some 6 series geforces floating around with the old school tsop ddr.

LiveSideways said:
No worries about buying another key, you just have to call them and explain that you are reformatting and that it isn't installed on any other machines.

True, but that gets VERY annoying very quick. :bang head

Oh come on, no love for outsourcing? My favorite is when the guy reading the activation code to you wants you to acknowledge him every 3 numbers. Hah.

Back