• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At what point is my system throttling a new video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would opt for the EVGA as I have had issues with ASUS services on both occasions that I needed them.

So I picked up a new EVGA FTW3 3090 Ultra - but I'm thinking I should take it back and wait on a 3070 or a 3060ti or something - this is just stupid overkill for anything I'll ever use it for. I just don't know.

If you keep it you probably won't need to upgrade for a loooong time. Like at least a year or so ;)

That card does dwarf your system though. But once you get a new CPU and MB it will balance or just fine.

At what point is my system throttling a new video card?
So I picked up a new EVGA FTW3 3090 Ultra
I think you found the point of bottleneck. :rofl: j/k

Are you going to install it & run some benches for us?

The two Atlanta area Microcenters have 3090s in stock today. I don't want one, & luckily I'm out of town because I'd probably try to get one if I was home. lol

I went back today.... walked out with a new Lian Li case, a 3700x and an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E.

Debating about going back for a 3900x... lol.

Do they have any 5000 series? That would be the way to go!

would love to, but no, they don't and they start at the very top of where my budget would end... I've spent WAY too much already. The Wife is getting irritated.

But no, they didn't have any.

Soooooooooooo.... baaaaaaaasically you built a whole new PC. LOL :clap:

would love to, but no, they don't and they start at the very top of where my budget would end... I've spent WAY too much already. The Wife is getting irritated.

But no, they didn't have any.

I should say, I would definitely pick up a 5900x if I could find one at the MSRP of $549. Seems they're selling at 150% of MSRP on Ebay and sold out most everywhere else. <sigh>

Which Lian Li did you get? I've been eyeballing a couple of their full towers at MC.

Which Lian Li did you get? I've been eyeballing a couple of their full towers at MC.

I got the Lian Li Lancool II. My son has an O11 and I like it, but the only O11 they had was the Razer version or the giant one, which I didn't want. I actually like the styling on the Lancool II and even though it supposedly has some cooling restrictions, I think it will be fine. I don't like the Lancool II Mesh that replaced it, even though it has better cooling. I can play around with more fans and different fan orientations, etc., and see what I can get in terms of cooling. I'm trying to decide whether to vertically mount the 3090 or not.

I wouuld mount the gpu vertically as it will help to speed the heat out of the top of the case

Back