• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu, Gfx card, mobo, and mem for under $1200, suggestions please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fyi in case you did know och is that the 7900gto is a slightly down clocked gtx. imo well worth the 255 vs the 7900gt with only 256 where gto=512.

MadMan007 said:
I'd read on Tech-report that the low-power A64s don't oc as well. AMD altered the manufacturing to make them low-power, which is good for say HTPC or small enclosures, but has much less OC headroom than the normal x2s. Are there people who are getting the same OCs from the low-wattage CPUs? I don't read the AMD section every day.
I have seen couple of threads in ADM/CPU section that have overclocked the 65w pretty decently. You probably are referring to the 35w version. I have read something to that effect on the 35w, but the 65w should do fine.
But as we all know, not all cpu's overclock the same level. some do better than the others (same model but different stepping). If I find the thread(s) I will link it here.

Evilsizer said:
fyi in case you did know och is that the 7900gto is a slightly down clocked gtx. imo well worth the 255 vs the 7900gt with only 256 where gto=512.
Good to know. As said vid cards is not my department, so thanks for the heads up.

ochungry said:
I have seen couple of threads in ADM/CPU section that have overclocked the 65w pretty decently. You probably are referring to the 35w version. I have read something to that effect on the 35w, but the 65w should do fine.
But as we all know, not all cpu's overclock the same level. some do better than the others (same model but different stepping). If I find the thread(s) I will link it here.
yep luck of the draw and depends on the quality of the batch of silicon. as oc's will change from batch to batch. i like the 35watt's for a nice passive rig though.

Evilsizer said:
yep luck of the draw and depends on the quality of the batch of silicon. as oc's will change from batch to batch. i like the 35watt's for a nice passive rig though.
These days there are so many good choices because of the price war and competition that we get lost at the end. Both platforms, Intel's core 2 and AM2's can make you a very nice system at the end and no regret which one you end up buying and have enough to spend it on a good vid card.
How do you like the ASUS marketing :)
But they should have a presentation like this for Core 2 also.
check below:
http://rog.asus.com/

MadMan007 said:
Yes to your last question. Although I'm curious what evil means by 'with new nv drivers you can run quad sli' - do they only support two 7900GX2s? His first list looks nice, except I'd get a scythe ninja+ instead of the mine which has a smaller and harder to replace fan, and you may as well use your current PSU it should be good.

The nvidia Intel chipsets don't overclock well. As far as worrying about SLI/CF...meh imo it's only really worth it if you get two relatively highend cards practically right off the bat. The whole 'add another card later' thing makes sense if you get a second card soon, like within a month, but adding another 6-12+ months down the line with the rate new cards come out you might as well sell the old one and buy a new single card. This is especially true atm because by this time next year DX10 will have picked up.

That sounds like a good assessment. I'll probably just forget about SLI/CF, and stick with your idea of just buying a new card when DX10 comes out.

As far as a CPU HS/F goes, I was thinking of getting this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061

Evilsizer recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835185037

Which do you think this would be better? Better to go with some setup that has a separate HS and Fan?

Thanks TONS for the suggestions thus far. I think I am still leaning towards Intel, but I am still open for AMD suggestions such as ochungry's.

after market hs's depending on which one are leaps ahead of the stockers. the one good stock i have seen though is the heatpipe from amd with there higher end cpus.

the one i posted for low niose will offer about the same temps as the bt. how ever the bt with its doward air flow would be better as it will also lend to cooling fets/pwm's/chipset/ram. for the price the bt might be better but its going to come down to your air flow in the case. as the mine i listed might do better in certian cases.

Ah nevermind, it looks like newegg is out of the original Scythe Ninja scnj-1000P and just has the scnj-1100P at a price that doesn't make sense, might as well get the Scythe Infinity if it will fit - they're big heatsinks. Other good HSFs include the various Thermalrights: ultra-120, si-120, si-128 and the Thermaltake Big Typhoon he mentioned.

Hm I looked around it seems the original Ninja was discontinued :( too bad it was a great heatsink for a good price, although it's only about $10 more for the infinity. I can only figure that the updated version uses scythe's more flexible mounting system for different sockets. If the $10 matters the scythe mine is good as well.

Anybody got some good ideas for a HDD setup that will take advantage of the Matrix RAID? I think I'll just stick with 2 drives for now.

Evilsizer said:
maybe but i would pass on the gx2 for a real sli setup of 2 7900gto's bios flashed to gtx's. same cards gto's are just down clocked a bit on the mem.

I think I'll opt out of SLI and just stick with a single card... then later down the road just buy a new card when dx10 is out for a bit.

If I'm going with a single card, should I just go with a 7900gto flashed to a gtx?

youngbuck said:
I think I'll opt out of SLI and just stick with a single card... then later down the road just buy a new card when dx10 is out for a bit.

If I'm going with a single card, should I just go with a 7900gto flashed to a gtx?
i dont see why not saves you alot of money. since i cant see recommending the gx2 at all. besides the gx2 is really 2 cards but one slot, the sli'd gto's even in stock form will be faster. nv is still tweaking drivers for the gx2.

if your willing to spend the money though for the gx2 , then this card is up you ally. show me anoth card with 2ghz gddr4 ram:drool: :drool: @$409
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161025

jivetrky said:
yeah, but from looking at the reviews, it's not really "all that", even with 2Ghz DDR4 ....I'd still go with the GTO if it was me.
yea gto is the best bang per $ even better then 7900gt/7950gt o_O:confused:

jivetrky said:
yeah, but from looking at the reviews, it's not really "all that", even with 2Ghz DDR4 ....I'd still go with the GTO if it was me.

Not sure what reviews you've read but it's more than competitive with the 7900GTX. Of course there's no way for anything to compare with the 7900GTO in terms of price: oc'd performance atm.

Back