• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[OFFICIAL G80 THREAD] All G80 reviews, benchmarks and discussions go here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shell said:
OH hell no... I thought the G80 was going to be much more powerful...

I was thinking of getting one after the initial price drop, but I refuse to get a video card that's not more then double the power of my video card on it's 24/7 clocks.

However, I am very glad to see that the architecture really is %100 DirectX10 compliant with all of the new architecture features.

I'm still smelling some FX API residue... imo

Hmmm interesting. A single 8800 can stay with a pair of x1950's in a CrossFire and you do not think that is powerful??? You just need a lot of system speed behind the 8800 (read need Conroe) to support it's appetite for data from the FPU in the CPU.

A pair of 8800's in an SLI has hit 23,000 in 3DM06 (4850Mhz Conroe) with no LOD cheats. That haulin' A period lol.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
From the 7800's on now that is downright laughable statement lol.

ATI is kinda in the land of hurt right now. It is going to be 2 1/2 to 3 months before ATI has anything that can compete single card with the 8800GTX (a pair of X1950's in a CF can only stay with it and not even get close in OpenGL). By then NV will have the 8800 refresh ready to come out of the oven to spoil the R600 launch or PNY may pop it's 8850 out if NV lets em.

For ATI this is x1800 well behind the 7800-256 fiasco all over again. I see though sledding ahead for ATI under AMD's rule.

Viper

How is that a laughable statement? so what if the 7800's came out first they are gargabe compared to the 1800's, Then came the overpriced 7800 512. Thats about the only laughable thing i saw.... but whatever

Yeah! I just called ZZF to check on my order because the site still said processing, the guy told me it was shipped and would be here Tuesday. :)

Rattle said:
How is that a laughable statement? so what if the 7800's came out first they are gargabe compared to the 1800's, Then came the overpriced 7800 512. Thats about the only laughable thing i saw.... but whatever

Gees did you ever own, run or mod any of these cards??? The 7800's were hardly garbage (although cold bug issues made them a pain equal the 1800/1900's in that area) and little or no trouble rolling over the 1800's except in image quality where ATI has no peer.

I am an ATI man at heart (damn well better be with my BG lol) but the last ATI cards that had a clear speed edge at the time were the x800's and x850's before the 7800's popped.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
From the 7800's on now that is downright laughable statement lol.

ATI is kinda in the land of hurt right now. It is going to be 2 1/2 to 3 months before ATI has anything that can compete single card with the 8800GTX (a pair of X1950's in a CF can only stay with it and not even get close in OpenGL). By then NV will have the 8800 refresh ready to come out of the oven to spoil the R600 launch or PNY may pop it's 8850 out if NV lets em.

For ATI this is x1800 well behind the 7800-256 fiasco all over again. I see though sledding ahead for ATI under AMD's rule.

Viper

Ouch, thats not a good prediction, its kind of along the lines of what I was thinking but I really didn't want to say.

OT but don't you think you should change to video card mod god since also do NV cards now?

ViperJohn said:
Gees did you ever own, run or mod any of these cards??? The 7800's were hardly garbage (although cold bug issues made them a pain equal the 1800/1900's in that area) and little or no trouble rolling over the 1800's except in image quality where ATI has no peer.

I am an ATI man at heart (damn well better be with my BG lol) but the last ATI cards that had a clear speed edge at the time were the x800's and x850's before the 7800's popped.

Viper

actually I have either owned, or used the cards for the many computer builds I have done, including, 6800le, 6800gt, 6800gs, 7800gt, 7800gtx, 7900gt, 7900gtx, 9600pro, 9800,pr0/xt, x800xl, x850xt, x1800gto,x1800xt, x1900xt and finally soon 8800gtx.

NO I do not super mod them like you do, but I mess with 3rd party coolers and max em out on stock volts. Maybe the 7800's go further when fully modded and thats where your POV comes from. I dunno though I owned my 7800gtx and it was a good overclocker and I was very dissapointed with it compared to the x1800 I seen in my friends rig and that made me jump on the x1900xt in jan.

speed bump said:
Ouch, thats not a good prediction, its kind of along the lines of what I was thinking but I really didn't want to say.

OT but don't you think you should change to video card mod god since also do NV cards now?

I say that just because I do not think AMD is all that into discrete GPU/GFX cards. ATI (before AMD) was a bit like a lumbering elephant when it came to R&D and especially about getting new product/technology to the market in a timely manner and in buyable quantities. They have been the king of paper launches many times starting with the x800XT-PE AGP card.

With AMD now in the mix that elephant just put on more pounds and the new product developement/release cycle is just going to slow down even more as more board room suits get into the mix with their 2 cents. With GFX card product cycles for only 6 months you can not be late to the party for very long or to many times shooting yourself in the bottom line.

I may be wrong and I hope I am cause a one horse race in anything is no fun and cetainly doesn't do the end user any good...especially in the wallet.

Viper

Dang guys this XFX, BFG, eVGA debate is pointless. The 7800/7900 cards for all three of them were/are built by FlexTronics in China. They all go down the same lines at the same time and get the same part lots available at the time of build. The only difference is the bios, card labels, cooler fan logo label and the branded box they are stuffed in after final test.

The G80 will be no different. Flextronics is to nVidia cards as Sapphire is to ATI cards. They both build for almost every brand.

Viper

Thanks VJ, thats good to know. BTW, to give you a heads up. I have 2 future mod victims lined up. eVGA 8800-GTX on their way to kraggy:)

update my o/c [email protected] ghz still air cooling

This GTs is very surprising and nice at stock cooling and no mod

8800 GTS 660 core / 1990 ram

3dmark05=19302

055ls6.jpg

3dmark06= 11023

06pb7.jpg

Aquamark 03= 201478

aquavo4.jpg

Here is the asus utility which allows total fan control , it installs an enhanced driver .

Very useful and no need to use third party one :)

asuspd2.jpg

regards

krag said:
Thats crazy...AND...you got yours before I did:mad: dang it!

Kraig,
How do we overclock these things? I was just an ATI guy, are we still using coolbits? or is there something new for the 8800 series?

Back