• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue screen caused by overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

I've got random blue screen after overclocking my PD930. Here are some :

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

and

STOP : 0x00000024
NTFS.sys

Can overclocking cause blue screen? Should I run background apps(anti-virus,torrents) while doing stability testing(Orthos)?

ooo yes... overclocking always creates blue screens..

that most likley means your Ram isn't keeping up. try a different ram ratio (aka slow that ram down)

one good way to test is download and burn onto a disk memtest +86. and run it on boot-up so you don't run the chance of corrupting windows.

I've tested memtest and found no problems at 266fsb 4-4-4-12 timings and 1.95V. In fact my RAM is rated at PC4300 and shouldn't have any problems to run at 266mhz.

Is it because the fsb too high and causes corruption to memory and PCI-E controller? What speed I should set for PCI-E? Currently I'm running at 100mhz.

wyemarn said:
Can overclocking cause blue screen? Should I run background apps(anti-virus,torrents) while doing stability testing(Orthos)?

Heres what I say to my friends. If you are overclocked and you experience a blue screen, a freeze, a random reboot, or applications crashing then you must always first assume it is because of the fact that you overclocked. Reset your clock to stock speeds and see if the problem persists. If it does, it is safe to say that the problem was not caused by overclocking.

Overclocking can do some weird things to a system, just ask anyone around here.

As for running background applications while testing stability, I dont see it as a problem. I figure if its stability then it doesnt matter cause the point is to load the system to its max and seewhat it does. When benchmarking on the other hand, you should always close all background apps to ensure that they are not taking up any of the processing power.

Short answers. Yes, and no.

Back