• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching over

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoSpawn

Well Im finally getting to be very very sick of windows and all the hassles of it. I have used linux before and I am not inexperienced in dealing with the OS. I am in the process of downloading Fedora Core 6 aka "Zod".

My problem is not because of gaming issues on Linux, but more like programs like the Adobe Suite, Poser, Lightwave and a few other software, that I dont think will run using Wine. I was looking into VMware Player and apparently with that you can install a Windows OS and have it run while linux is as well.

So would it be possible for me using VMware Player, to run on FC and I can use programs like Indesign and poser and such? Im really taking into consideration of this because Im just fed up with windows failing on me, and all the problems that come with it. I dont need all of the windows features that Linux cant already do, like word processing, few graphic stuff here and there.

Could I get help and/or opinions using VMware Player and help me figure out should i just have a dual boot or I can use this set up. Thank you

NeoSpawn

PS: Anyone who uses Cedga, how does it work for you on your linux system?

I personally run crossover office by codeweavers now renamed crossover linux and use this for Windows applications, currently I run Excel, Adobe photoshop and Dreamweaver on it and find it exceptionally stable and without issue.
I also run Turboprint as it makes the most of my printer (Cannon Pixma IP5000) and even supports the CD printing capabilitys of the printer and the duplex capabilitys

http://www.codeweavers.com
http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

There is also an OpenSource virtual machine which has close ties with Fedora and RedHat call Xen which yo can read more about here

as long as the programs don't require extensive 3D graphics they will work fine in vmware. I used it up until this semester of school for everything except my solid modeling software. Had a few issues with trying to run shared printing with it but you can give vmware control of the printer and then it will work just fine.

Alright thanks for your input. Yeah my main issue was doing a VM and finding out what programs worked well and what didnt. Thanks a lot for your help, I'll be trying VMware and hopefully get just about everything I need running.

Back