• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu Failed (Maybe), Another distro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, so I attempted an Ubuntu install (6.10), and it seems to have failed....horribly. But, a bit of foreknowledge. I have a 200GB HDD, in a USB 2.0 Ext Enclosure. I want to install it to that.

Any recommendations (and comments about installing to an external hdd. I've never done that, but I think performance really shouldn't be an issue. Right?)

k, now I cant even seem to boot from the disk. It works fine in Windows, but when I go to boot, things happen. Takes forever, the boot screen will go corrupt (sometimes), the gnome loading screen comes up, then the screen goes black.

try redownloading and reburning, best i can do given your limited problem description

matva said:
try redownloading and reburning, best i can do given your limited problem description

Sorry about that, but there really isn't much more I can give in the way of a description. The CD itself checks out, works fine in Windows, doesn't boot half the time, has trouble when it does boot, wouldn't properly format the drive, etc etc. Anyways, redownloading.

i would try a reinstall, i had many issues a while back tring to get a few linuxes(mind you about 4 years ago) installed in an odd hard drive configuration.

Possibly a problem with the kernel. I have this problem on my notebook. However, frugalware was the only one I was able to find that didn't have this problem (Ubuntu failed for me as well).

Back