• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bootable linux to scan comps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLOBBY

I was trying to figure out if this is possible. I want to be able to put a small linux package on a pen drive, be able to boot a computer off of it and on the pen drive i want installed anti virus software, and something for adaware and spyware that works well.

So for example i could go to someones computer, boot linux and run virus and spyware scans on it. Sort of like safe mode but in linux and that computer doesnt have to have the av programs installed on it.

you might want to look into "ultimate boot disk". As the NTFS problem will arise as already stated...although there is a driver floating around that gives you read and WRITE access to NTFS, but its a hit and miss with the writing.

fault&fracture said:
i would think that would be pretty difficult since linux doesnt have much support for ntfs partitions.
I believe that the Kernel itself has support to read ntfs but not write to it, but you can install ntfs-3g which lets you read and write. I've been using it without any problems for a while now.

idk if its through 3rd party package but every linux i have installed accesses my ntfs partitions just fine. i havnt added anything but of course the installer very well may have added another package without my knowing.

yes, the linux kernel has NTFS in it (if you enable it). It also has write support. But, the write support is not full write support, afaik, meaning it allows you to write files bit for bit, but does not really allow for modification, as in deleting files, adding new files, or writing bigger files. Well, it might allow you to do that, but i guess the correct phrasing would be "you will screw up your NTFS partition" if you do that.

I was just looking at this yesterday, for a jumpdrive there's a distro called damn small linux...it's built on knoppix 50mb....I don't know of any anti-virus programs though......you'd literally have to find a linux anti-virus that has virus definitions for windows....because remember a linux virus would be different from one that runs in windows. Good luck!

Back