• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard = Reinstall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you run lspci, it will show you all of the hardware, then you can search google for what mdoules are needed, and then you can make sure they are in the kernel, and you can make sure they get loaded.

splat said:
if you run lspci, it will show you all of the hardware, then you can search google for what mdoules are needed, and then you can make sure they are in the kernel, and you can make sure they get loaded.

:(

So I jsut realized that on the Asus cd it has drivers for linux and a whole walkthrough on how to recompile your kernel with the driver. It has a install.sh file script so it will put the drivers where it needs them. Unfortunately I get the error saying I don't have permission to run the file. Yet I'm logged into the terminal as root, I've copied the files to my hdd. So I go download the driver form the asus website and try again, same freakin error message.

I stupidly reinstalled Ubuntu which of course wouldn't work because it doesn't nativly have drives..apparently the Asus P5B-D use the first NIC off of the PCI-E lane which until December all the drivers were beta drivers for it.

So now I've got a clean install of ubuntu and still no working NIC's.

I was this|| close to downloading and burning the 2.6.19-gentoo(-r1) kernel/cd because it has built in support for these NICs. But I want something debian based, I like apt package manager.

how are you trying to run the script? is it set to +x? are you running it using "sh install.sh"?

splat said:
how are you trying to run the script? is it set to +x? are you running it using "sh install.sh"?

I tried "./install.sh" as the readme said. Also I tried sh install.sh, sh install, sh ./install, sh ./install.sh, ./sh install.sh, ./sh install, I tried every thing I could think of..just for the heck of it.

Shelnutt2 said:
I tried "./install.sh" as the readme said. Also I tried sh install.sh, sh install, sh ./install, sh ./install.sh, ./sh install.sh, ./sh install, I tried every thing I could think of..just for the heck of it.

chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh

Or

sh install.sh

yep, what david said. If the script is not +x (i.e. -rw-r--r-- or similar), then you run it using "sh install.sh". Or you can chmod the file, chmod +x install.sh, as david pointed out, and then it will be able to run with the command, ./install.sh

I used "chmod +x install.sh". When I the tried to run it via ./install.sh, I got the following error. "Syntax error: "(" unexpected". I also go that error when I tried to run it with sh install.sh after the chmod. :( I really want to get some forum of linux working with my NIC's.

I feel so dumb.

NIC #1 is on the PCI-E lane while NIC #2 is on the PCI lane.

I don't need to manually install any drivers fro NIC #2..its just NIC #1 that is not supported out of the box. So now I'm happily in Ubuntu using NIC #2.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Back