• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard = Reinstall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'm replacing my DS3 with a P5B-Deluxe and I know since it has different southbridge and nics and all that I need to reinstall windows and Linux, but with windows I can simply do a repair install, so I don't have to format my hard drive...with Linux is it possible to do the same? Is it possible that I could reinstall with out loosing all my installed applications and folders/files?

Thanks guys!

all you need to do in linux is possibly compile a new kernel. Both the DS3 and the P5B are intel 965P chipsets so you should already be able to boot in to linux with it. If the nic's are different, then you just need to add the modules in to the kernel, recompile, modify grub or lilo, then reboot

splat said:
all you need to do in linux is possibly compile a new kernel. Both the DS3 and the P5B are intel 965P chipsets so you should already be able to boot in to linux with it. If the nic's are different, then you just need to add the modules in to the kernel, recompile, modify grub or lilo, then reboot

uhhh, uhhh...have a good link/mind explaining how to do that?

Compiling a kernel isn't too bad once you know your way around the process (the first time was nerve wracking, the second stressful, and my last three routine). This is a pretty good overview of the process. It goes over both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel configuration (you probably have the latter).

The part of the kernel config (once you start menuconfig or xconfig) you'll probably want to pay most attention to are the Device Drivers and Networking sections, since you said that you've got a new NIC. The chipset difference shouldn't matter too much (at least, I don't remember seeing much in the way of per-chipset configuration in the kernel config...).

JigPu

JigPu said:
Compiling a kernel isn't too bad once you know your way around the process (the first time was nerve wracking, the second stressful, and my last three routine). This is a pretty good overview of the process. It goes over both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel configuration (you probably have the latter).

The part of the kernel config (once you start menuconfig or xconfig) you'll probably want to pay most attention to are the Device Drivers and Networking sections, since you said that you've got a new NIC. The chipset difference shouldn't matter too much (at least, I don't remember seeing much in the way of per-chipset configuration in the kernel config...).

JigPu

Thanks for the link. I'm wondering, should I recompile my kernel know? With my DS3 or wait until after I have the P5B-D installed?

do it before, that way when you drop in the new mobo you'll be able to boot right up.

Windows doesn't like straight mobo swaps. I believe if you want to try that you are best telling device manager to "uninstall" everything, turn the machine off, swap boards, start it up and let it redetect all devices.

do the repair install off the cd. should fix everything without erasing the registry.

Drinkyoghurt said:
hmm did the repair but it didnt help at all

Weird...really weird. I'm not sure.

edit:

Its not working...

shelnutt@Ubuntu64-D:~$ make xconfig
make: *** No rule to make target `xconfig'. Stop.
shelnutt@Ubuntu64-D:~$ xconfig
bash: xconfig: command not found
shelnutt@Ubuntu64-D:~$ su
Password:
root@Ubuntu64-D:/home/shelnutt# make xconfig
make: *** No rule to make target `xconfig'. Stop.
root@Ubuntu64-D:/home/shelnutt# make menuconfig
make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig'. Stop.
root@Ubuntu64-D:/home/shelnutt# make config
make: *** No rule to make target `config'. Stop.
root@Ubuntu64-D:/home/shelnutt# make menuconfig
make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig'. Stop.
root@Ubuntu64-D:/home/shelnutt#

Last edited:
Drinkyoghurt said:
hmm did the repair but it didnt help at all
i don't know what to tell you other than a complete format might be the best idea.

shelnutt2: you need to be in /usr/src/linux (or /usr/src/linux-[version]) in order to use "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig". Most linux distro's still use the symbolic link to have the current kernel source in /usr/src/linux, but when I was using slackware, I had several people tell me that this is no longer required.

Code:
$ su
Password:
# cd /usr/src/linux
/usr/src/linux # make menuconfig

[ncurses interface loads and you configure your options]

/usr/src/linux # make && make modules_install

(in gentoo, this is the next step, but I don't know exactly what it is for Ubuntu)

/usr/src/linux # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel

(you might want to backup you old kernel before overwriting it with the above command, 
incase the new kernel doesn't boot, then add the backup kernel to your boot menu)

Looks like you are in the wrong directory....you will most likely have to cd into the kernel source/build directory first.

EDIT: oops splat beat me to it :)

splat said:
i don't know what to tell you other than a complete format might be the best idea.

shelnutt2: you need to be in /usr/src/linux (or /usr/src/linux-[version]) in order to use "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig". Most linux distro's still use the symbolic link to have the current kernel source in /usr/src/linux, but when I was using slackware, I had several people tell me that this is no longer required.

Code:
$ su
Password:
# cd /usr/src/linux
/usr/src/linux # make menuconfig

[ncurses interface loads and you configure your options]

/usr/src/linux # make && make modules_install

(in gentoo, this is the next step, but I don't know exactly what it is for Ubuntu)

/usr/src/linux # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel

(you might want to backup you old kernel before overwriting it with the above command, 
incase the new kernel doesn't boot, then add the backup kernel to your boot menu)

yeah did a clean format, good thing i had windows on a separate partition...they should make it so you can addon every single piece of hardware without a hitch..cuz al these reinstalls are driving me crazy

splat said:

Are you sure? I have OpenSuSE 10, just poped the CD in & did a repair to make it load right. Windows was the pain for me, it is the hardest time I ever had.

If you are using Ubuntu with the generic kernel it is unlikely you will need to recompile the kernel at all. At worst you may need to make a new initramfs. Most of the modules you need for your hardware are loaded dynamically at startup using udev.

I don't know what the OpenSuSE repair does, as I have never used OpenSuSE, but I would assume that it simply recognized what hardware you had and then copied the correct modules over as well as a correct kernel. Distros like Ubuntu and Debian that have "generic" kernels will generally compile everything in to the kernel as a module, so that one kernel can be used on any system and only the appropriate modules will be loaded at boot. So if you change a component in your system, then you will not need to recompile, because the modules are already there.

If you run a custom kernel, like me, with only specific drivers for your specific hardware, then you simply need to reconfigure and recompile your kernel before you make the change, and then you will be able to boot right up after the change. Sometimes, special hardware uses binary drivers from the manufacturer, like nvidia, so the drivers need to be reinstalled everytime the kernel version is changed.

Well you guys are completely right, about generic kernel. Ubuntu loads perfectly fine, although I'm having trouble getting the NIC to work. I'm about to run the live cd and see if they work in the livecd, if it does then I'll just reinstall, or recompile the kernel if I can figure out what drivers the NIC uses.

Back