• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you fake a PS2 keyboard is present?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

I have an older Compaq (see sig) setup running as a smoothwall so it has to run 24/7. I've turned every available error option off in BIOS but the stupid thing needs to see a keyboard present or no boot! Is there any mod I can do to the PS2 plug or keyboard cable so I can get a much cleaner setup? I've thought about ripping an old kb apart, taking the pcb out and shortening the cable. Anyone?

The practical problem is we're sharing a broadband connection with our neighbours. IF there's a power outtage and I'm not at home, my wife can press the power button on the Compaq system but having to connect a KB first is gonna be a hassle. Meanwhile the other peeps will be without internet all the time. The system is mounted on brackets above the stairwell in our attic...

Yeah I just googled for it and found this:

==
Most systems detect a keyboard connection by monitoring the currentflow
through the connector. To trick it, simple wire a 10K ohm resistor
between GND (pin 4) and +5V (pin 5). This is on a standard PC/AT style
connector (the larger 5 pin one). If you have a PS/2 keyboard, you can
either use an adapter to change it to an AT connector, or use the
resistor between pins 3 and 4 of the PS/2 adapter. Note that the
pinout isn't simply clockwise or counter clockwise:

PC/AT:
n
1 3
4 5

PS/2:
n
5 6
3 4
1 2

as viewed looking into the connector on the keyboard, not the PC.
where "n" is the notch in the shield.
==

I think this is it for me! A small resistor soldered inbetween pins 3 and 4 so I only have a modded plug on the back of the case...

Lancelot said:
I think this is it for me! A small resistor soldered inbetween pins 3 and 4 so I only have a modded plug on the back of the case...

Why dont ya just grab a resistor, and jam it in the PS2 socket? Secure it with a pice of tape, and your good to go for ever.

Eh I've got a Compaq here too and I tried that resistor trick. It didn't work. Find a smaller keyboard and leave it plugged in, just stash it somewhere out of the way.

Yeah I just found out it doesn't work! Compaq must probe for a KB present in a different manner. I already ripped an old KB apart, gonna shorten the PS2 cable to the pcb and secure it inside the case with the cable running outside to the PS2 slot...

My kvm wouldn't work unless the keyboard and mouse were pluged in, I just pluged in a PS/2 to usb connecter and it worked.

DarkVirusVx said:
My kvm wouldn't work unless the keyboard and mouse were pluged in, I just pluged in a PS/2 to usb connecter and it worked.

That might be a good one! I have one of those tucked away somewhere. Gonna try that later and post the result here.

Back