• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mod a stock Intel HSF??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sam__ said:
whats the performance difference between the 90 and the 120

Roughly the same at the same level of airflow iirc but the 90mm fan will be louder than the 120.

I'd imagine that using a fan spacer could also reduce the impact of the angle of a fan adapter. You could also duct the fan to the fan adapter (the adapter being mounted to the heatsink).

Or you could save yourself the trouble and buy an Ultra 120. By the time you buy the adapter and ducting, you'll have probably spent more money than just buying the Ultra 120.

Pomegranate said:
Ultra-90 plus a fan.

That HS and fan will produce enormous churning of hot air being recycled back into the fan and through the HS. It would work much better with a fresh air duct completely surrounding the fan and blocking churning.

At the very lease you would have to add a baffle to prevent recycling hot air.

I believe open fans recycle up to 90% of the air leaving the fan.

Well, after doing some checking, the fan controller turned to ANY position, full load using orthos:

36c.

On a prescott...

DanFraser said:
I have the answer to the original posters question. I have actually done this, two days ago in fact....

It works, but be careful!

However, I am still looking at new heatsink options!

Guys,

The original question was how can it be done, not is it the best or will it be better than stock or will it be better than a TT120...just can it be done...a simple request for some help with a specific question.

I'm glad to see that someone else read the post and replied to the question.

Creative juices are always welcomed...

Edit:
In case anyone is interested, here is a "review" of the stock Intel heatsink...should be the one currently being used, or very close to it.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2025

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
The original question was how can it be done, not is it the best or will it be better than stock or will it be better than a TT120...just can it be done...a simple request for some help with a specific question.[/url]

Actually the original question included "just wondering if i could squeeze any more degrees off the cpu." It certainly implies he wants better than stock and IMHO an analysis of good, better, best, is well within the parameters of the question. I mean why would you answer, "sure you can put a 120 fan on there, this is how you do it with some hot glue"....and then just not bother to mention it will give worse results and why? I don't see the purpose of such an answer.

Thus we conclude that the "simple" question was in fact a compound question which by its nature requires a complex answer. As usual simple isn't so simple... :beer:

orion456 said:
Actually the original question included "just wondering if i could squeeze any more degrees off the cpu." It certainly implies he wants better than stock and IMHO an analysis of good, better, best, is well within the parameters of the question. I mean why would you answer, "sure you can put a 120 fan on there, this is how you do it with some hot glue"....and then just not bother to mention it will give worse results and why? I don't see the purpose of such an answer.

Thus we conclude that the "simple" question was in fact a compound question which by its nature requires a complex answer. As usual simple isn't so simple... :beer:

Could have sworn he got a simple answer from me :)

one time i got ored and made a fanduct out of a budlight box, duct tape, and an exacto knife with a sunnon 120mm, worked great :D

Some senior members on here might still remember that thread.. lol

orion456 said:

Yes, I erred in my comment. He did state that he wants to be able to mod the stock heatsink by replacing the fan in an effort to improve its performance over stock.

Back