• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ds3 wont recognize my ide drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tvdang7

i jsut got my computer put together and it wont recognize 2 of my ide drives. ive fiddled with the slave master stuff and no luck anything else i should do?

tvdang7 said:
it wont recognize 2 of my ide drives.

DS3 only has one IDE port, so you can only have two drives at most. You can't install windows onto a IDE HD from the same IDE port. You need either a SATA CD or HD.

orion456 said:
DS3 only has one IDE port, so you can only have two drives at most. You can't install windows onto a IDE HD from the same IDE port. You need either a SATA CD or HD.

i do have a sata HD 1 ide cd and 2 sata HD's but my windows wont even recognize the cd drive for me to install windows.

so the only thing going to the ide port is your cd-rom? if that's the case you would want to set it as master (even tho it shouldn't matter I don't think), ... what do you mean windows doesn't regconize the cdrom to install windows? you have a copy of windows on the system and you want to re-install? or your bios doesn't recognize the drive therefore you cannot install windows?

tvdang7 said:
i jsut got my computer put together and it wont recognize 2 of my ide drives. ive fiddled with the slave master stuff and no luck anything else i should do?

You're going to have to rephrase this and be a hell of a lot more specific:

1. What hardware do you have EXACTLY? List every piece of hardware you have in your machine.

2. Does the bios SEE all your devices? Can it see your Sata HD, IDE HD, CDROM drive?

3. What is the jumper configuration for all your drives? All SATA drives should be set to "Master."

You can't have two IDE drives and one IDE CDROM drive because there's only one IDE port and it only allows two IDE devices. The best you could opt for is a setup like mine where you have an IDE-->Sata converter attached to one of the drives.

sorry guys but i fixed it by buying a new sata cd drive. its like the ide is broken what i ment was its not recognizing the cd drive and did not show in bios and i could not boot from disc to install windows. now im having another problem my sound isnt coming up. i installed realtek drivers but it wont open and nothing but windows codecs is showing in device manager and nothing showing in sound properties any help?

Last edited:
tvdang7 said:
sorry guys but i fixed it by buying a new sata cd drive. its like the ide is broken what i ment was its not recognizing the cd drive and did not show in bios and i could not boot from disc to install windows. now im having another problem my sound isnt coming up. i installed realtek drivers but it wont open and nothing but windows codecs is showing in device manager and nothing showing in sound properties any help?

You also have to activate the sound card in bios.

yes i have but when i look for it its not there in device manager. i installed the drivers already.
the sound in bios is the A**** codec in peripherals correct?

have you tried looking for updates on the gigabyte website, maybe you have a bad motherboard if you're having so many issues with it? bad IDE port then bad sound sounds like too many issues on one board to me... did you use the drivers off the disc supplied with the ds3?

i dont have a cd got it off a dude. he says he didnt have these problems.
ive installed the drivers on the website and yes ive enabled it.

Back