• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want 4 Ghz! Help me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So its been a while since I traveld outside the FAH forums, and I'm all you new people don't even know me!

Long story short, I've got one heck of a E6300. I run it at 3,4GHz on only 1.45 volts. I can post at 3.45, but my ram craps out at 3.4 and anything above I can hardly get to the bios. Already pushed 2.4v onto the ram. I've got ream group DDR2 667 ram. Some sweet ram, teamgroup really does hold itself. Seeing how I got over ~150Mhz more than their rating. D9 for the win!

Anyway I want to get to 4ghz. My P5B-Deluxe is currently out for RMA. When it gets back, I want to make a change. I need a chipset that has a down divider. Or one like the i680/i650 that has dual chrystals.

Or I need new ram, thats able to hit such a high FSB. The other thing is will my P5B-Deluxe be able to hit 572 FSB?

I'm on water cooling and currently my temps are only 57C on full load when I'm folding.

150 mhz for the teamgroup as a max oc doesnt sound right to me... and the p5b-dlx should hold too.

I don't know if 4ghz is possible with your chip (is it a late chip?) or cooling, but mobo and ram shouldn't be holding you back.

One Bull said:
150 mhz for the teamgroup as a max oc doesnt sound right to me... and the p5b-dlx should hold too.

I don't know if 4ghz is possible with your chip (is it a late chip?) or cooling, but mobo and ram shouldn't be holding you back.

150 actual Mhz. I went from 667 to 980 on the ram.

I have a week 27 chip. I got this back in early september. My whole setup is from september, except for the P5B-Deluxe which I got in january for $130 :) Sold of my DS3 for it.

Shell: 4ghz is alot for air . Do you jsut want to see 4ghz or you want it stable? And to keep it any where close to 4ghz you are going to need to give it tonz of voltage .

4ghz screenshot shouldn't be hard, 4ghz stable is a longshot :).

EDIT: a 4ghz screenshot would be VERY difficult with an E6300. I don't think your P5B can do 571 FSB, even if it would be a longshot for that chip.

is a 4Ghz screen shot really that easy with an E6300?

But what at 3.8Ghz stable for folding? I'm willing to give the chip a little voltage;). I'm not worreid about that I'm on water cooling so I should be ok as long as temps don't go above 70C right? If it aint throttling its fine.

dont count on the p5b hitting 572, the only mobos to hit that close are the new P35 based mobos.

Evilsizer said:
dont count on the p5b hitting 572, the only mobos to hit that close are the new P35 based mobos.

I assume you mean the $200 P35 motherboards too don't you?

That still leaves me with my issue with Ram. My ram can't hit anything over 970 Mhz. I've been stuck at 485 FSB because I haven't been able to get the ram stable enough to load the bios. Yet at 485, I'm memtest stable and folding stable.

I'm ready to mod the board to the extreme. I've become a proficient at soldering, espcially with a blow tourch:p. (I've been doing copper pipes for an experiment the past few days). But I've soldered my own circuits together so I fee ok.

What about the i650/680 boards? Weren't they suppose to clock better than the P965? I like my intel chipset but...

I think the 7x Multi is what is going to hold you back the most from folding @ 3.8 . I wouldnt be able to run @ 3.8 on teh 7x multi . I dont know what my limiting factor is I can get my setup over 530fsb ( I think my ram doesnt want to go higher Even @ 5-5-5-15 but it maybe my board doesnt like above 530ish fsb as well)

If you really are looking for a boost in your PPD i would say sell your cpu and get a q6600 after the pricedrops.

Shelnutt2 said:
I assume you mean the $200 P35 motherboards too don't you?

That still leaves me with my issue with Ram. My ram can't hit anything over 970 Mhz. I've been stuck at 485 FSB because I haven't been able to get the ram stable enough to load the bios. Yet at 485, I'm memtest stable and folding stable.

I'm ready to mod the board to the extreme. I've become a proficient at soldering, espcially with a blow tourch:p. (I've been doing copper pipes for an experiment the past few days). But I've soldered my own circuits together so I fee ok.

What about the i650/680 boards? Weren't they suppose to clock better than the P965? I like my intel chipset but...
no not the $200, while we still have early bios's for alot of boards. Time will show what alot of boards are made of. a slightly hardware modded IP35-pro was doing 610mhz fsb. though if you want the best chance of hitting 550+ look at the gigabyte P35-DS3R $129.

Shelnutt2 said:
150 actual Mhz. I went from 667 to 980 on the ram.
Damn :eek: That's pretty good!! I run the same ram you have @824 /4-4-4-12 with 2.3v. And I thought that was good. What are you running for timings @980mhz? I've been trying to hit 4GHz stable with my setup and I figured my wall was my ram. I ran prime95 @3700mhz with 1.475v for 17.5 hours without errors but I can't run 3800 with the same vcore, I get errors within 2 minutes. I wish you luck with your 4GHz hunt and I'll be watching this thread now to see if you're going to make it. I was thinking of getting this ram to help my 4GHz quest, you might want to do the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

dylskee said:
Damn :eek: That's pretty good!! I run the same ram you have @824 /4-4-4-12 with 2.3v. And I thought that was good. What are you running for timings @980mhz? I've been trying to hit 4GHz stable with my setup and I figured my wall was my ram. I ran prime95 @3700mhz with 1.475v for 17.5 hours without errors but I can't run 3800 with the same vcore, I get errors within 2 minutes. I wish you luck with your 4GHz hunt and I'll be watching this thread now to see if you're going to make it. I was thinking of getting this ram to help my 4GHz quest, you might want to do the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

At 980, I run 4-4-4-12, and my sub timmings are I think 10-10-10-10. (my board at RMA so i can't check right now). Thats at 2.2v too. Although I have the 1 gig set and you have the 2 gig set...

I have some of th best ram, I've seen around. Makes me wonder if it was hand picked. I had a hard tiem getting and RMA, becuase when I got it, I had once stick dead. Tankguys had to give me the phone number to their representative to get it. The trouble I had was that apparently most of the staff was off due to the 1 week holiday (its a chinese holdiday but interantioly they get the whole week off to). They didn't set an auto away message or change thier voicemail..so it was like the company vansihed for a week.

But anyway, try more volts on your ram. These guys can handle up to 2.5v with active cooling.

anything over 2.3v even with active cooling will kill your ram after a certian period of time. there is no set time frame but its certian over time you ram stability will degrade. That even when you try to go back to stock speeds.

now some amazing sticks i bought were $40 per stick when ddr2 ram was still kinda pricey. the sticks were ddr2-667 5-5-5-14 1.8v they did ddr2-900 5-5-5-14 1.95v nice sticks when i bought them. lol not long after ram prices dropped like a rock.

Evilsizer said:
anything over 2.3v even with active cooling will kill your ram after a certian period of time. there is no set time frame but its certian over time you ram stability will degrade. That even when you try to go back to stock speeds.

now some amazing sticks i bought were $40 per stick when ddr2 ram was still kinda pricey. the sticks were ddr2-667 5-5-5-14 1.8v they did ddr2-900 5-5-5-14 1.95v nice sticks when i bought them. lol not long after ram prices dropped like a rock.
one big heavy rock..:-/

Evilsizer said:

pff i got a 2x512mb kit of DDR2 533 and stock is 1.8v @ 4-4-4-12... it will do ddr 700 @ 1.8 @ 4-4-4-12 and ddr2 800 @ 1.95 @ 5-4-4-14

50% ram oc baby!

I had 4ghz. Vista booted once the first time i hiked it up. LOL haven't really been able to tweak it back.
I have it stable at 3.2 right now. It was what the auto overclock would do. I turned it all off and put it up there my self. everythings pretty much auto except the fsb is 400 and vcore 1.4v and memory timings are 4-4-4-12.
idle 23c load 41c

just got everything last friday. I'm getting into this slowly since this is my first rig and im trying to oc, Ive helped build 3 others which one was being overclocked and it was an amd. thats a year ago and this is intel, trying to figure out all the tweaks for ocing.

I am trying to work on 3.8, since 4 seams entirely too far, i brought it from 3.88 to 3.84 I have the fsb at 480 and vcore 1.6275. been creaping up the v to try to make it stable. used to do 30 seconds on orthos. With the current vcore it does 3min 45sec. its about idle 33c load 53c
my two questions are whats the safe upper voltage? and i should probably tweak with other stuff?

D9 is finiky with timings and voltage.. why not seek some help from the benchmarking team with the ram.

Your water coolings got alot of room for more heat, heck I helped you pick it out LOL.

Back