• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heads up! Intel Penryn Pricing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its not that bad... the E5410 uses a 7x multi.
450 x 7 = 3150mhz.
480 x 7 = 3360mhz.
500 x 7 = 3500mhz.

Actually, it IS that bad. LOL Since most mobos crap out at around 480 and only higher end mobos hitting 500+; it'll take an true enthusiast board to take that cpu to its limits.

Personally though, i'm eyeing that L5410 for $320.

I never imagined a quad core would use only 50 watts so soon. :drool:

Wow... That's startling... 209 bucks... 12MB of cache... That's really, REALLY going to hurt AMD.

WOW amazing stuff Intel is offering. The desktop chips can only be cheaper I assume correct? :drool:

now what boards are going to be able to support these things... i mean intel is not requireing an update of the VRM 11.0 till their new socket in late 08. And like said before... quadcore... 50watts HOLLY BEJEZUS!

and what default fsb are these things gonna be using...

E5420 2.50 GHz 80W 12MB $316

2500mhz / 266 = 9.39x multi

2500 / 333 = 7.5x multi????

btw when is the pernyn stuff spost to start showing up... i may just have to upgrade my system, although its gettin very close to a year old, yet is still top of the line.

nd4spdbh2 said:
and what default fsb are these things gonna be using...

E5420 2.50 GHz 80W 12MB $316

2500mhz / 266 = 9.39x multi

2500 / 333 = 7.5x multi????

Looking at those clock speeds in that link, I was wondering the same thing myself about what clock and multiplier combos they've got going on for these processors.

Hmm 160mhz raises the TDP 40 watts for the extreme? I wonder what the e5405 will do with phase.

Looking at the chart it looks like the first shot at 45nm isn't going to bring huge speed increases, I guess that's expected from a new process but it would be neat to see Intel stretch 45nm further at the start. I suppose they are notably lower TDP than even the G0 stepping CPUs though.

A few various tests showed Penryn had about a 10% per-clock advantage over Conroe, except when SSE4 was involved then the increase was massive at around 40%. If Penryn only oc's 'a little' more than G0 stepping Conroes which it may given the small max speed increase that means the July 22 pricecut chips oc'd could be nearly the fastest for a good long while. The 65nm process is really mature, and at one point was intended for Netburst as well aka mucho headroom...I wonder if 45nm will eventually allow much more headroom?

White_Pawn said:
Actually, it IS that bad. LOL Since most mobos crap out at around 480 and only higher end mobos hitting 500+; it'll take an true enthusiast board to take that cpu to its limits.

Nah, just a P35 :D

I think I'll still go Q6600 g0 and further down the road jump on the penryn bandwagon

45nm! 50Watts! 4 cores! 12mb of cache $170

can it get any better??!?

and does anybody think if amd can pull it self out of the predicament?

TALK ABOUT FOLDING POWER!

EmAn said:
45nm! 50Watts! 4 cores! 12mb of cache $170

What chart are you reading? :p There's no CPU with all of that. The TDPs aren't hugely lower except for the LV low voltage models. They always have a large-ish price premium though :(

AMD is definitely screwed. With this, the only people who will buy AMD are the extreme value junkies, and even then, there's trouble. AMD is in a predicament. Intel is just tearing them apart. But I WANT ONE OF THESE CPUS!! I can't wait for them to come out, they're just so awesome! :santa:

Back