• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Roadmap Shows Next-Gen Atom in Q3 2009

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

Next-gen Atom CPU will integrate a GPU core and memory controller
The netbook world today has many different systems available for consumers. The common thread among many of today's most popular netbooks like the ASUS Eee PC and the new Dell Inspiron Mini 9 is that most use the Intel Atom processor.

An Intel roadmap that surfaced at the Intel Developers Forum 2008 shows that Intel plans to bring the next generation Atom processor to market in Q3 2009 -- roughly a year from now. PCWatch reports that the new Atom will carry the codename Pineview and will be offered in both dual-core and single-core versions.

Today's Atom CPU is based on the Silverthorne micro-architecture, the next-gen Atom will be based on the Lincroft micro-architecture. The biggest difference between the current Atom and the one we should see this time next year is that the Pineview Atom will integrate a GPU core and a memory controller into the die or chip package. Exactly how the GPU core will be integrated is unknown. Roadmap slides at PCWatch show a "1?" for the number of die(s) -- it seems even Intel isn’t sure how the GPU core will be packaged with Pineview at this time.

Pineview Atom processors will connect to the associated I/O chip via Direct Media Interface (DMI) rather than a front side bus like the current Atom processor. Register Hardware reports that its unknown if the dual-core version of Pineview will be available for netbook systems.

Intel has big plans for the Atom processor and hopes to see it used in more places than the computer world alone. Intel expects to get versions of the Atom processor into the embedded market. Intel has also announced that the demand for Atom is far outpacing what it expected.

The higher than expected demand has led to shortages of Atom processors in the market. Low supply is forcing some netbook makers to use processors other than the Atom in lower-end netbooks. Asus is unable to get the Atom is quantities to meet its needs for low-end netbooks and has opted to use older Celeron M processors as a substitute.

Intel's first dual-core Atom processor will debut this month. However, it is questionable if the dual-core Atom will be seen in smaller and cheaper netbooks running Windows XP. Microsoft's recently relaxed XP usage criteria still limits XP usage to single-core netbooks. DailyTech reported in August that the dual-core Atom 330 would be soldered onto the Intel 945GX-based D945GCFL2 motherboard and would support up to 2GB of RAM.

Register Hardware reports that AMD is getting its own Atom competitor ready for the netbook market. AMD's Atom rival is reportedly codenamed Bobcat. Bobcat will reportedly be a single-core 1GHz AMD64 processor core and has 128kb of L1 cache and 256kb of L2 cache. The Bobcat processor is said to draw 8W of power total.

AMDs Bobcat isn’t the only challenger to the Intel Atom in the netbook world. VIA has its 65nm Nano processor that is reported to offer higher-performance in many benchmarks when compared to Intel's Atom 230.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12871

I'm pretty excited to see where the Atom goes over the next few years. If this can do HD video decoding by itself that'd be pretty awesome.

yea i recall reading some stuff about this. this is good news to hear esp since how limited the ITX boards are for upgrading. pretty soon you wont be able to find 2400pro PCI cards...

now where WE split hairs is that per via's TDP for nano is 25watts. it is unclear is this is tdp for both cpu and chipset or just the cpu. if its just the cpu then this is going to be rahter high for then client notebook/netbooks. nano will be more competion for atom in the low cost destkops.

the new dual core atom maybe seen in nettops but i dought it. the current ITX dual core atom board has the cpu with a 8 watt TDP. which jives with my Atom 230 setup having a 4watt TDP. the problem is can intel get binned dual cores to run lower, as current nettops have a TDP of 2.4 watts. that would then mean the dual cores in nettops would have 4.8watts TDP.

intel is going the right direction with atom,imo. Give it time Shig, you may just find atom in you DVR/TIVO box one day...

BTW i have plans to pick up the ITX Atom 330 setup. since both use the same motherboard and all. makes it easier on me to just pull the HD and go on the 330.

I have an Atom 230 setup that I am using for my FreeBSD server and I am in love. Can't wait for new Intel/Atom offerings.

yea vinny if you check froogle right now a few places have Atom 330 listed for 86-90. compared to when i bought my atom 230 for 79 roughly 10 more for the dual core. a few places list getting atom 330 in on the 19th, i sure hope so!

I'm waiting to see if Intel is going to partner with a LCD / Plasma producer or maybe start their own.

I'm thinking you'll be able to get an all in wonder TV pretty soon that will connect to the internet, have it's own HDD, be able to do everything a decent receiver/processor can do (full upscaling + others), and decode every audio and video codec.

i think sony will start using atom for that as well as samsung. as both are into OLED's, samsung is working on AM-OELD's, which can do much higher resolutions. i think samyy had a 17in prototype with a 1920x1680 res. LCD's are to big and Plasma's use more power then lcd and being thicker as well. Sony's 11in OELD TV is finally for sale in the US at the tune of $1.8-$2k depending on retailer. they were going for $1k in japan, to bad the price couldnt have stayed that low. would have been neat to see someone put them in a car/suv or even a modded computer case... i still want to see a Touch-screen OELD display coupled with a atom would be cool.

yea vinny if you check froogle right now a few places have Atom 330 listed for 86-90. compared to when i bought my atom 230 for 79 roughly 10 more for the dual core. a few places list getting atom 330 in on the 19th, i sure hope so!

Dangit! I should have waited for the 330. Oh well I really don't need a dual core for my server needs.

i think sony will start using atom for that as well as samsung. as both are into OLED's, samsung is working on AM-OELD's, which can do much higher resolutions. i think samyy had a 17in prototype with a 1920x1680 res. LCD's are to big and Plasma's use more power then lcd and being thicker as well. Sony's 11in OELD TV is finally for sale in the US at the tune of $1.8-$2k depending on retailer. they were going for $1k in japan, to bad the price couldnt have stayed that low. would have been neat to see someone put them in a car/suv or even a modded computer case... i still want to see a Touch-screen OELD display coupled with a atom would be cool.

Reminds me of that Futurama quote.

"Fry come outside with us and stop watching TV. But this is HDTV, it has better resolution than the real world" ;)

That brings up a question of how high of a resolution can the human eye actually go? In the next 20 years we'll probably be so high the human eye won't even be able to tell the differences anymore. Right now we're approaching the capability to fully ray trace real time images on a 2560x1900 picture, that would look so insanely good you have to wonder how much better it can actually look until we can't tell the differences anymore.

Back