• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable Keyboard Mouse Nub on Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EchoTheDolphin

Seems I have a sister thread on doing the exact opposite of what I'm trying.

I have a laptop entirely for wireless internet use while in my house, I recently moved it from win2k to xp and in the process I believe the drivers for the cursor nubbin were removed. Basically, everytime I touch it the mouse starts drifting all over the place and requires a restart to fix, any ideas?

I've tried device manager and it looks like the laptop sees both the touchpad and nub as the same device in windows.

Is it a newish laptop? I would send it back if it is still under warranty...

You say the drivers were removed? hmm, maybe XP just doesn't have drivers for it.

I would re-install 2000 and see if the drivers are there, then in device manager go to driver details and copy the files from the system32 folder, or wherever they are, to the XP install and see if the driver files work.

You will have to add new hardware wizard and manually specify the driver files that you copied.

It's clear of virii (thank symantec commercial edition) but it's old as they come. Runs a PIII(ha ha) mobile processor with 256 ram (system is too old and runs well enough to justify 60-ish for an extra 512 pc 133). Once again, it's basically a throwaway internet access only system. The win2k disc is operating system only as opposed to a system restore cd so no luck there.

Would a wireless mouse+ disable all onboard mouse adapters be my only real solution at this point?

PS: I really like this system because it uses the old two modular bays that I can have two batteries in, 6 1/2 hour battery life FTW! (under 6.5 lbs fully loaded too)

Who made the laptop? Go to their website. They might have all the drivers on there for download (even for really old laptops)

Back